The other day, I was talking to a friend who's about to start his own online store. He is surprisingly sure that a website template and an ecommerce plug-in are enough to get him started. The truth is, the whole process is a bit more demanding than that. That’s why today I made a list of resources entrepreneurs should find quite handy. I know I did.
1. Ecommerce Getting Started Guide is an article in PDF format dealing with those first steps to setting up your business: select a domain, accept online payments, promote your business. Hard to skip these steps. Agree?
2. I would dig deeper with The Mega Guide to Maximizing eCommerce Sales, Revenues and Performance on all Fronts. This is just a blog post, but a detailed one, covering mobile ecommerce, SEO, tips on increasing sales, and more.
4. When it comes to marketing and SEO (for beginners!), I would definitely read The Beginners Guide to SEO. Detailed and well written. Compulsory.
5. For actionable steps to be taken in order to grow my sales, I would read 17 SEO Best Practices That Could Double Your E-Commerce Sales again.
6. When it comes to conversion rate improvement, this one should come in handy: 21 tweaks to increase your Ecommerce conversion rate. Increasing your conversion rate by 5% would impact your bottom line over a 12-month period.'nuff said.
7. And, yes, web design has come a long way in improving ecommerce conversions. For some of the latest design ideas, browse Top Design Tips for Improving Ecommerce Conversions.
8. In the analytics department, I would go back and read this short book covering the basics of Google Analytics: An Introduction to Google Analytics for Ecommerce
9. Knowing more about what metrics to track is a great next step. And Top Five Google Analytics Metrics to Watch When Launching an Ecommerce Website is a good start.
10. Mobile Commerce: 25 Essential Tips it’s useful for the simple reason that there are more obstacles in mobile commerce than in traditional ecommerce, and user experience should be a priority.
More resources to follow soon.