Are you thinking about starting your own clothing line? Or perhaps you want to sell your own line of accessories? Either way, you've come to the right place because in this article, we’ll explore the best print on demand Shopify apps. We’ll also also explain what print on demand is as a business model, go over the benefits of using print on demand companies, and help you decide which print on demand app is the best choice for your business.
Sound good? Great! Let's dive straight in!
What Is Print On Demand?
Print on demand refers to a business model where you use a third-party supplier’s white-label products (such as t-shirts, phone cases, baseball caps, and similar) and customize them with your own designs.
You then sell the products on a per-order basis which means you don’t actually pay for the product until someone buys it. Once your customer makes a purchase, you place the order with the supplier, and they handle the rest. From printing to actually shipping the order, print on demand companies handle the entire process for you.
This keeps your startup costs low as you don’t have to worry about manufacturing the products, storing them or buying them in bulk so you can resell them.
You can use print on demand in several ways:
- To test a business idea before fully committing to it and find out if there is a demand for the type of products you want to sell
- To monetize your existing online presence and audience such as a YouTube or Twitch channel, Instagram profile, and similar
- Create products for a very specific niche such as gamers, music lovers, anime lovers, and similar.
Benefits Of Print On Demand
Aside from keeping your startup costs low, there are a few more benefits associated with using print on demand services and apps.
You Can Create Products Quickly
Once you have the initial set of designs, you can easily and quickly create products. All you have to do is select a product type, upload your image with the desired design, and set your price. The products are usually automatically synced with your store so you can spend more time marketing them and driving traffic back to your store.
Fulfillment And Shipping Are Taken Care For You
As mentioned earlier, the supplier will handle everything related to order fulfillment. They will print the product, package it, and send it off to your customer’s address. Some apps and print on demand companies will even offer white-label customer support.
You Can Launch Your Business Quickly
Since you don’t have to worry about physical storage space or brick and mortar stores, you can launch your business quickly. In fact, you can launch your Shopify store in as little as 15 minutes and we have a detailed tutorial that walks you through the entire process step by step.
The Risk Of Starting A Business Is Lower
Finally, since there is little financial investment, the inherent risk of starting a business using print on demand services is also lower. If you decide that this business is not for you or if you find that there is no interest for your products, the only money you’ll be out of is the domain registration and the monthly fee you’d pay for your Shopify store.
The Best Print On Demand Apps For Shopify
Printful is one of the most popular print on demand services worldwide. They have a substantial inventory with more than 200 products which means you’re not limited to t-shirts only.
Printful offers hoodies and sweatshirts, embroidered hats, phone cases, coffee mugs, backpacks, and even backpacks and dresses. The company offers direct-to-garment, embroidery, sublimation, and cut and sew printing.
You can easily see what your finished product will look like thanks to the built-in mockup generator
Another cool option is the ability to add tearaway tags, packaging stickers, and packaging inserts. This does cost extra but provides your customers with a more branded experience.
As far as shipping goes, products ordered through Printful are usually ready to ship within 2-5 business days. They ship worldwide from the US, Europe, and Mexico. If you’re shipping to the US, the shipping costs start at $3.99.
As such, Printful is a well rounded solution that can easily grow with you as your business grows and evolves.
Printful is free to use. There are no monthly or setup fees and no limit to the amount of products you can sell. The product price depends on the type of product you’re selling. You can check out their Product Catalog page to get more information about product prices.
- Worldwide shipping and fulfillment from one of their 5 fulfillment centers
- No order minimums and no setup fees
- White-label experience so everything gets fulfilled and shipped under your brand
- Completely automated process thanks to the numerous eCommerce integrations
- Printful mobile app so you can stay on top of your orders even when you’re on the go
- Adding your own branding costs extra
- Shipping to European countries varies depending on the shipping region
Printify is another popular print on demand service. They are unique as they connect you with their large network of printing partners which are distributed all over the world. You can easily choose a partner based on the country you want to ship to which then leads to faster fulfillment and shipping times.
You also get more products to choose from. Currently, you can choose from more than 250 products which include mugs, t-shirts, hoodies, bags, linens, and more.
Printify has its own product mockup so you can easily create and preview products before adding them to your store.
As far as shipping goes, they allow you to add a flat-rate shipping to your store. It’s worth mentioning that shipping rates vary from provider to provider and are based on the shipping location.
Printify offers three different plans to choose from.
- You can get started for free and have up to 5 stores with an unlimited number of product designs. This plan also includes self-serve help center, mockup generator, 24/7 merchant support, and manual order creation.
- The Premium plan costs $29/mo and allows you to set up 10 stores. It includes everything in the free plan and offers a 20% discount on all products along with bulk product import.
- The Enterprise plan allows you to have unlimited stores per account. It includes everything from the Premium plan as well as a dedicated account manager, early access to new features, custom API integrations, and branded customer support. This plan has custom pricing so you’ll have to get in touch with Printify.
- Large selection of products with more variety
- Three different plans to choose from
- You can save on shipping costs depending on the provider and the location you’re shipping to
- You can offer a flat rate shipping in your store
- Branded customer support available on the most expensive plan only
Gooten doesn’t have as many products as Printful or Printify above. Their catalog has 100+ products which include t-shirts, linens, acrylic prints, hoodies, mugs, and more.
Gooten claims to be an all-in-one solution with advanced order management options and high-quality manufacturing network.
You can connect an unlimited number of stores to Gooten and an unlimited number of SKUs. The platform integrates with Shopify and Etsy and offers API integrations for other eCommerce platforms.
What sets Gooten apart is that they will find the best solution for the product order. From finding the best manufacturer to finding the fastest and most affordable shipping, Gooten automatically routes your order through their manufacturing network. They will then ship the order directly to your customer.
Gooten doesn’t have any setup or monthly fees. You can get started for free. The prices of the products depend on the type of product you want to sell.
- Offers the ability to charge a flat-rate shipping in your store
- More hands-off than other platforms
- No limit on what you can charge for any given product
- Doesn’t have product mockup generator but they do offer print templates you can download and use
- Doesn’t offer as many products as some of the other apps on this list.
Print Aura offers “Kornit 932 and 931 printers” which were specifically designed for high-quality garment printing. They also boast a fairly large catalog with over 100s of garments.
They also offer printing on mugs, bags, cell phone cases, and more. You can choose from a number of different brands which means you can sell a great variety of products.
A nice option is the ability to add tear away tags to your products.
As far as shipping goes, Print Aura ships worldwide and as such the shipping rates vary based on the location and the product type. Domestic shipping (to the US) starts at $5.50. Most products are shipped in white bags with a return label that has your business name.
Print Aura has a standard 3-5 business days processing times and offers rush processing with a 2-3 business days turnaround time.
There are no setup or monthly fees to get started with Print Aura. Like with many other providers, the price of the product depends on the product type. Print Aura offers a handy cost estimation calculator where you can calculate the product cost.
- No setup fees
- Fairly large product catalog
- Their website looks a bit outdated and information can be hard to find
- The app interface can be hard to use compared to other platforms on this list.
Teelaunch is another popular print on demand app for Shopify stores. They are one of the oldest apps and they offer a wide range of products. What sets them apart that they also offer unique products like Bluetooth speakers and color-changing mugs on top of the standard options such as t-shirts, hats, and the like.
Teelaunch is also competitively priced and they generate high-quality mockups that you can use not only in your store but also on your social media profiles and other marketing materials.
When it comes to shipping, most orders are fulfilled and shipped within 3-6 business days. They ship from the US, Canada, and UK to any country in the world. The price for the shipping depends on the type of product and the shipping destination.
Another cool feature that Teelaunch offers is the personalization tool where customers can enter their name or photo to a product.
There are no monthly or setup fees associated with Teelaunch. The products available on Teelaunch have some of the cheapest prices all around and their shipping costs are on-par with other services mentioned on the list.
- Great solution if you’re looking for more unique products
- They generate high-quality mockups and even lifestyle mockups that you can use in your marketing materials
- You can get a 25% discount on one item once every 30 days so you can easily order a sample
- Their product catalog is not as big as some of the other apps on the list.
- No options to add package inserts for a more branded look and feel
Printy6 (formerly known as Snaprinting) offers a decent number of products. Not only can you print your designs on apparel but you can also print it on mugs, home and living products and various accessories, including clocks, backpacks, and canvases. As far as clothing goes, you can choose between men’s women’s and kids apparel. This includes t-shirts, leggings, hats, tank tops, kid’s shirts, and more. This gives you access to a product catalog with hundreds of products.
Printy6 is competitively priced and allows you to offer flat-rate as well as expedited shipping. Their processing time is pretty standard and they ship worldwide. Products are printed and shipped from China.
What sets them apart is that they don’t charge any shipping fees as they are already built into the price of the product itself.
Like with many other apps on this list, there are no setup or monthly fees to get started with Printy6. Their products are some of the cheapest on this list so that makes them a great option if you’re looking for a cost effective option.
- Printy6 offer some of the most affordable products on this list
- Shipping costs are included in the product cost
- They have a fairly large product selection
- You’ll find some unique products such as watches and clocks
- No custom branding options other than the business name on the return label
- Products are shipped from China so in some cases, they can take a longer time to arrive to the destination
JetPrint specializes in a very niche product. They make it easy to print your designs on watches. While the majority of their product catalog is focused around watches, they also offer printing on t-shirts, blankets, doormats, and more.
You can choose between different straps, styles, and colors so it’s quite easy to create a unique and custom watch design.
As far as shipping goes, their average fulfillment time is 3-5 business days which is pretty standard and on par with other apps on this list. When it comes to shipping fees, they offer free global shipping but the caveat is that the product will have a slightly longer delivery time of 14-20 business days.
It’s worth mentioning that they do offer an express shipping option with estimated delivery times within 5-9 business days. However, this option costs $15.
A nice feature of JetPrint is that they offer automatic order processing and you can generate various high-quality mockups and detailed product specs to add to your product pages.
There are no setup or ongoing monthly fees associated with getting started with JetPrint.
- The free shipping option is a nice touch if you don’t want to be bothered with calculating different shipping costs.
- Great choice if you’re looking for a niche product
- Easy to use and integrate with Shopify
- High-quality mockups you can use in all your marketing materials
- Given the nature of the products, they are slightly more expensive than what the other apps offer
- Products are printed and shipped from China so longer delivery times are to be expected
CustomCat is one of the apps on this list with the largest product catalog. They boast more than 550 unique products which include t-shirts, canvas art, blankets, embroidered hats, laptop sleeves, and more.
There are no minimum orders and they offer embroidery printing, sublimation printing, direct-to-garment, and 3D dye diffusion printing.
They stand apart due to short product processing times — most products are shipped within 2-3 business days.
As far as shipping goes, products are delivered within 1-7 business days in the US and between 4-15 business days for international orders. Products are produced and shipped within the US. Shipping fees start at $4.99 for domestic shipping.
Unique features: An optional paid plan for $30 a month gives you access to some of the lowest prices in the industry ($7 tees and $3.50 mugs).
CustomCat offers a free plan to get you started quickly and easily. They also offer a paid plan. Here’s how they break down:
- The free plan has no monthly fee or upfront costs. You can get access to their entire catalog of 550+ unique products with prices starting at $9.00 for a t-shirt and $5.50 for a mug. This makes CustomCat slightly more expensive than some of the other apps on this list.
- Their paid plan is available for $30/month. It includes everything from their free plan but it also gives you a discount on their entire product catalog. This, for example, brings the price for a t-shirt down to $7.00 and $3.50 for a mug.
- CustomCat offers the fastest processing and delivery times
- Largest product catalog out of all the apps on this list so they’re a great choice if you want to sell more unique products and offer a larger variety
- Affordable and competitively priced shipping rates.
- CustomCat is more expensive than other options on this list
You can print your designs on t-shirts, mugs, tote bags, and more. They also offer metallic, acrylic, and wood prints. It’s worth mentioning that they are a part of the Fine Art America network so if you’re looking to sell more artistic products, this app is a good choice.
Like CustomCat, the orders are fulfilled within 2-3 business days. They have 15 different fulfillment centers located in 5 locations around the world which means products should arrive at their destination in a fairly reasonable time. Another benefit of this approach is that your customers won’t be charged customs import fees.
There are no setup or ongoing monthly fees to get started with Pixels. However, their product prices are slightly higher than other apps on this list.
- Great choice for artists wanting to sell custom prints of their artwork
- Easy to use mockup generator so you can preview your design and add it to your store
- You can order product samples to verify product quality
- Large distribution center which ensures faster delivery times and lower costs for your customers as there are no import fees
- Product catalog is not very extensive however, you can still run a smaller store as they do offer a nice variety of products along with more unique choices
Fuel claims to be one of the cheapest print on demand options for Shopify. With t-shirt prices starting at $3.00 and no extra charges for expedited shipping, it’s easy to see how Fuel sets itself apart from other apps.
Fuel also offers workflow automation so you can spend more time marketing your products instead of designing them. Their design tools are easy to use and can generate high-quality mockups that you can use in all your marketing materials.
They offer a standard range of products. You can print your designs on apparel and accessories and they guarantee the lowest price possible.
As far as shipping goes, their orders are processed within 3 business days. You can then use expedited shipping within the US at no extra charge or use standard shipping for international orders.
There is no setup or monthly fees to get started with Fuel. They have multiple fulfillment locations and shipping prices start at $4.00. Keep in mind that shipping prices vary depending on the product category and the final destination.
- Fuel will match the price if you can find a print on demand app that has lower prices
- Fast turnaround times and fast shipping times
- No extra charges for expedited shipping within the US
- Product catalog is not as extensive as some of the other apps on this list
How To Choose The Best Print On Demand App For Your Store
Print on demand makes it easy for anyone to quickly launch their business and as you can see, there is no shortage of print on demand apps for Shopify. So how do you choose the best one?
At first glance, they all seem similar but when you take a deeper look, you’ll quickly see that there are significant differences between each app. For example, if you want to sell t-shirts or phone cases, you can opt for pretty much any app on this list.
But if you’re looking for more specialized products an app like Pixels or JetPrint. If you want to be able to offer a wide range of products including products that are usually hard to source, CustomCat makes the most sense.
On the other hand, if cost is important, an app like Fuel is an excellent choice.
Before making your final decision, it’s important to know what you plan on selling and evaluate each app's pros and cons. Another thing to keep in mind is how you plan to expand your store in the future. As such, it’s important to choose an app that can scale with you.
Ready to Find the Best Print on Demand App for Your Shopify Store?
And there you have it. The apps above are some of the best print on demand apps for Shopify stores that will make it easy for you to launch your store and start selling your designs.
We hope that after reading this post, you know which print on demand app is the best solution for your Shopify store. All you have to do now, is choose one, sign up, and start creating your designs!
Have you ever used any of the print on demand apps we've mentioned here? If so, leave us a comment and share your experience with us in the comment section below. Happy selling!