If you've never heard of Gooten before, it's a worldwide distribution, production, and logistics company offering a print on demand drop shipping service for online merchants.
Gooten has shipped over 4 million items at the time of writing and boasts under a 2% error rate and an impressive 95% ship-on-time rate. So, it's safe to say your business is in safe hands with Gooten.
With that said, let's dive into this Gooten review and get straight into the nitty-gritty of what they have to offer and who Gooten's best for.
Gooten Review: Overview
Gooten prides itself on its ease of use. So, whether you're looking for a new side hustle or want to fresh a new line on your ecommerce store… Gooten could be the print on demand company you're looking for.
In summary, this is what Gooten has to offer:
- Help keeping up with the trends: They provide up to date benchmark and trends reports.
- Ordering, manufacturing, and fulfillment
- Excellent customer service: Gooten boasts a dedicated team of account managers and customer service reps to ensure help is on hand when you need it most.
- Your opinions matter: Gooten has a Partner Advisory Committee to ensure your feedback is considered.
- Find the right selection of products for the right price: Gooten helps you source the right product, price, and quality of merch for your eCommerce business.
- Low error rate: In 2019 alone, Gooten processed nearly a million orders, with a production error rate of under 2%!
- Hand-selected partners: Though they service over 65 locations worldwide, over 70% of Gooten's production is from the U.S. They hand-select all of their manufacturing partners to ensure the best possible service.
- Efficiency: Gooten guarantees efficiency when it comes to routing your orders. They use the manufacturing location closest to the end customer, which works wonders for speeding up shipping times (which is an absolute must in the era of Amazon Prime) and reducing shipping costs.
💡 Pro Tip: While we're on the subject of shipping, check with Gooten to see whether their shipping times have been affected by the COVID pandemic.
Gooten Review: Is Gooten Easy to Use?
Absolutely! Gooten is easy to use from start to finish, making it an excellent choice for beginners. You can start selling custom products in just a few simple steps:
- Create a Gooten account
- Tick the different products you want to sell (hoodies, phone cases, t-shirts, etc.)
- Add your custom designs to them.
- List those new products on your e-store to sell
Best of all, each of Gooten's products come with pixel dimensions to guide your artwork. On top of that, some products also come with design templates that you can download and use to help get the ball rolling.
Of course, it’s down to you to advertise, market, and grow your store, but Gooten makes the process of sourcing and listing custom-made products easy and efficient.
Gooten Review: The Pricing
Below are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about Gooten's pricing:
Is there a membership fee or cost for using Gooten?
No, you're not charged a membership fee, and you'll be delighted to hear that there aren't any surprise hidden costs either.
Is there somewhere I can view Gooten's product prices?
You can absolutely view all their products and prices on their website by clicking through to their Product Catalog.
How does product pricing work?
The prices listed on Gooten's Product Catalog include the item's base price and the cost of printing your custom design. Then, you can market your customized product for however much you want. You set your own margins (but don't forget to factor in shipping costs!).
When and how will Gooten charge me?
When a customer places an order through your ecommerce store and receives payment, the order is processed. Then, Gooten charges you for the order's cost (that’s products + shipping) to your debit/credit card or your Paypal account.
Do I need to set up shipping costs for my products?
All orders sent to Gooten automatically use the standard shipping option (unless you’re using Advanced Shipping Rules). Therefore, Gooten charges you the rate of their standard shipping costs regardless of whether you decide to charge customers extra for shipping or not.
💡 Pro Tip: Gooten recommends using Advanced Shipping Rules so that you enjoy complete control over your shipping prices.
Are there product discounts?
Gooten has products that start at around $7. However, Pro and Elite VIM partners should consider talking to Gooten's Partnerships manager to see if they’re eligible for a discount on product sales.
Gooten Review: The Sample Order
Gooten doesn’t offer fabric swatches or product samples for free. However, before listing any of Gooten's products for sale, we recommend doing the following:
- Investing in samples before creating products: Before selling any customized products, it's good to invest in some samples beforehand. Doing so allows you to check product quality and whether it 1) meets your expectations, 2) is the right fit for your brand, and 3) is suitable for the range of products you have in mind.
- Use high-quality images: Using high-quality photos for your sample is always wise. It increases the likelihood of the image quality is up to standard before going live with the product.
As stated above, Gooten's unable (or unwilling) to provide samples for free, which means you'll still have to pay for the sample. But doing so is worthwhile for quality control purposes. Plus, you also have the product to hand to photograph for your website.
Gooten Review: Gooten Integrations
Gooten offers a sparse number of built-in plugins: WooCommerce, Etsy, and Shopify. However, you can build your own, as Gooten does offer a JSON-friendly and well-documented API, so if you're a developer and love a bit of coding, you should be able to create whatever integration you need and connect Gotten with platforms like Squarespace or BigCommerce.
Connecting Gooten to an Ecommerce Platform
Gooten wants you to focus on growing your business, so they make connecting your ecommerce store hassle-free. Then once your ecommerce integration is up and running, Gooten ensures it's:
- Quick: Gooten automatically processes, produces, and ships orders without needing you to do anything.
- Simple: You can connect as many platforms and stores to Gooten as you want and can manage everything from one place.
- Accurate: Gooten’s automated fulfillment doesn’t make mistakes that people might make, which goes a long way to protecting your brand from accidents caused by human error.
Gooten Review: Customer Support
Customer service is vital to Gooten, and they pride themselves on tailoring their service to meet their partner's needs. As such, you can contact their customer support team via live webchat from Monday to Friday between 8 am and 4 pm EST.
Or, if you prefer, you can email Gooten's customer support, and they’ll aim to reply to you within 72 hours.
Alternatively, if you prefer to find solutions for yourself, you can browse through Grooten’s online blog and knowledge base. These resources are pretty thorough, so you should find what you're looking for!
Gooten Review: Alternatives to Gooten
Now that we've taken a look at what Gooten has to offer let's see how it squares against its competitors…
Gooten vs Printful
Like Gooten, there's no monthly or startup fee associated with Printful. Similarly, you'll need to create an online account with Printful and integrate your ecommerce shop with them.
In terms of how orders are processed and charged, Printful and Gooten are also very similar. By this, we mean that Printful also allows you to create and sell customized products via your online store. Then, when a customer buys a Printful product from your ecommerce store, it fulfills the order and ships it directly to the customer. You then pay Printful for the base cost of the item(s) and shipping.
Printful has a product catalog of 240+ items to choose from, so there's plenty of selection!
Both Gooten and Printful offer products starting at around $7, though, overall, Gooten has the edge when it comes to offering more affordably priced products. In contrast, Printful's products are on the slightly pricier side. However, Printful offers monthly discounts up to 9% on your previous month’s sales volume. So, the more you sell, the more you can save on order fulfillment. You can also secure discounts on bulk purchases, i.e., 25 of the same product or more (you can mix colors, sizes, and designs).
Both are easy to use for beginners and have similar fulfillment times (printing and sending). However, one of Printful’s strengths over Gooten is its mockups functionality. Once you’ve linked your online store to Printful, you can start creating ‘mockups’ using their mockup generator. This easy-to-use tool enables you to create custom prints for your product virtually. Though Gooten does offer a similar feature, it isn’t one of its major strengths and isn't as sophisticated as Printful's.
Gooten vs Printify
Like Gooten, Printify handles everything on the fulfillment side so that you only have to concentrate on marketing and sales. Like Gooten, Printify also integrates with Etsy, WooCommerce, and Shopify stores, and the process of creating custom-made products is just as simple.
With Printify, you can browse through their variety of products (over 300 items) and create mock-ups to help you visualize your creation. On top of that, you can also order samples to get an insight into what your end-product will look like.
Printify's pricing uses a three-tiered system:
- The free option, which allows you to connect five stores per account and create an unlimited number of product designs
- Premium, at $29 a month. This allows you to integrate up to ten stores per account and create an unlimited number of product designs
- Enterprise, for this package, you'll have to contact Printify directly to receive a customized quote. This allows you to connect unlimited stores per account and create unlimited product designs.
Printify also offers 24/7 merchant support to help you handle order-related questions.
Gooten vs Teespring
Despite the name, Teespring has expanded since the days when it only sold custom-made t-shirts. Now it sells many other items, from custom coffee mugs to custom wall art and loads in between. With no startup fee and competitive product pricing, you should make a good profit margin with Teespring.
Though Teespring's design process and backend are relatively simple, it's limited to only customizing the fronts and backs of products (no sleeve designs, for example). And as with the other sites, you’re able to order samples at base cost.
Teespring offers exclusive integrations with platforms such as YouTtube, Twitch, and Streamlabs.
Gooten Review: Who Should Use Gooten?
All in all, Gooten is best for those looking to create and sell quality, custom-made products with little hassle. Their on-demand print fulfillment service handles the logistical side of your ecommerce business so that you can concentrate on marketing and sales.
On top of that, Gooten also helps you keep up with sales trends by sharing their on-trend, on-demand reports so that you can see what's most sought after and likely to produce the most sales. They also guide you on what promotions to run, strategies to increase sales, marketing channels to focus on, and how to overcome and be ready for challenges that may come up. Remember, they get money when you get money, so they want you to succeed!
Not to mention, Gooten’s user-friendly blog is full of interesting, useful, and inspiring posts, full of knowledge to give you a boost in your business. Gooten also prides itself on its simplicity, so if you’re new to the print on demand business model, Gooten is a good option for you. After all, it does most of the heavy lifting – You just need to set up your ecommerce store, custom design Gooten's products, and get selling.
With competitive prices, friendly and approachable customer service, and no membership fee, Gooten may be just what you’re looking for.
Or, are you considering other print on demand services, like Printful or Redbubble? Let us know how you get on in the comments box below; we'd love to hear from you!