Ecommerce marketing is becoming more and more automated every year. From welcome emails to sales funnels and ad networks, all ecommerce stores should be using some sort of automated marketing tool to ensure a consistent flow of sales and exposure. But which ecommerce marketing software is right for you? Today we'd like to compare Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt to see which of these popular options will work best for your online store.
The Basics: Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt
Klaviyo, Conversio, and Jilt are all marketing tools for ecommerce businesses and other companies that may run as physical retail stores. All of them are similar enough that it's worth comparing them to understand elements like pricing, features, and integrations.
I've used all three of these tools in the past and know that they each provide automated emails, quality email builders, and some interesting upselling tools like related product modules and coupons.
On the surface, Klaviyo appears to have a larger feature-set than the competition, along with more integrations. Conversio makes a splash with the best interface and some beautiful email designs for bringing back customers. Jilt is somewhere in the middle and it boasts some excellent pricing for all businesses.
But what about popularity?
When taking a look at Google Trends we can see the interest in each search term over time. Keep in mind that a search of “Conversio” might not be intended for the marketing software–so, this isn't perfect but it gives us a general idea of searches.
Klaviyo's search popularity has steadily increased over the past 12 months. Both Conversio and Jilt are battling it out with lower search results but still steady traffic.
A search on BuiltWith reveals some even more interesting information.
For instance, Klaviyo is currently running on over 57,000 websites according to BuiltWith.com. This website isn't going to be exactly accurate, but again, it gives us a great idea about market share and which of the tools are most popular right now.
Jilt is live on 5,400 websites, and Conversio can be found on just over 5,700. So, they're all being used by many people, but Klaviyo is clearly dominating when it comes to market share.
However, that doesn't mean that Klaviyo is the only way to go. Jilt is ranked as one of the top five most popular cart abandonment tools in the US. Klaviyo doesn't get close to this ranking.
So, it's essential to first understand the type of marketing tools you want. We also want to make sure that companies aren't choosing software based solely on popularity. Therefore, we'll dive deep into some of the intricacies of each software, including pricing and the unique features.
The Pricing: Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt
As we'll learn in the Features section, all three of these marketing tools are fairly similar. However, some of them have unique features or better interfaces in certain areas of the dashboard. So, just keep in mind that pricing for tools like these often takes advanced features into account. Other times, we might find that the lowest priced options have far fewer features.
That said, pricing is an extremely important part of choosing a marketing software, so we'll break down what the rates look like then turn to the features to see if that pricing makes sense.
A great part about Klaviyo is that it includes all of its features into every pricing plan. The monthly pricing increases only when you add to your contact book. It's also nice that Klaviyo offers a free plan for small businesses and companies interested in testing out the service.
Because of the rates being focused only on contact numbers, the Klaviyo pricing is fairly easy to understand:
- Free – For up to 250 contacts. You also have a maximum of 500 email sends, along with required Klaviyo branding and a double opt-in.
- $20 per month – For up to 500 contacts. Unlimited emails are included, along with the removal of Klaviyo branding. You also receive email and chat support.
- $30 per month – For up to 1,000 contacts.
- $45 per month – For up to 1,500 contacts.
- $60 per month – For up to 2,000 contacts.
As you can see, the pricing from Klaviyo is extremely flexible. We haven't even gone past 2,000 contacts and they already offer five plans for you to choose from. This means you won't end up spending too much money than you need, and you always have access to all of the features.
The highest listed pricing plan is at $1,700 per month for up to 147,000 contacts. You also gain access to a dedicated customer success manager. After that threshold, you must contact the Klaviyo sales team to customize more of an enterprise plan.
The Conversio pricing has been consistently reasonable. Not only can your company test out a free trial, but all of the Conversio features are packaged into each of the plans.
The pricing increases as you add more contacts to your store. There's no free plan, but the free trial is a nice start.
- $20 per month for up to 500 contacts.
- $40 per month for up to 1,000 contacts.
- $70 per month for up to 2,500 contacts.
- $90 per month for up to 5,000 contacts.
- $140 per month for up to 10,000 contacts.
Similar to Klaviyo, Conversio has many pricing plans, all of which rely on the number of contacts you have. We won't go through all of them, but you can select your contact number and see what your costs would be.
As for the highest listed pricing plan, you can get support for up to 250,000 contacts for $850 per month.
It's also worth mentioning that Conversio lets you pay for a year in advance to get two months for free.
Finally, Jilt provides a wide range of pricing plans with all of its features regardless of how much you pay. As with the competition, Jilt only requires a higher payment as you build your contact list.
Not only can companies try out Jilt for 14 days without payment, but a free plan is provided for a lifetime. We'll cover some plans below, but the actual pricing calculator can be found here.
- Free – For up to 300 contacts.
- $29 per month – For up to 1,000 contacts.
- $49 per month – For up to 2,500 contacts.
As mentioned, dozens of plans are offered depending on your contact count. For instance, the next step up would be $79 per month. As you can see, there's plenty of flexibility for companies that shouldn't be spending too much on features they may not need. Instead, everyone gets the same features and it all depends on how big your company is.
The highest plan on the Jilt website is $1,029 per month for up to 150,000 contacts. After that, you must call the Jilt sales team to figure out a plan for your store.
It appears that Conversio is slightly more expensive than the others across the board.
Jilt is definitely the winner for smaller businesses since you receive that Free plan and up to 1,000 contacts for $29 per month.
That said, some of the bigger plans are far more affordable for Conversio, making it our favorite for larger businesses–at least in terms of pricing.
The Features: Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt
Scanning through the features may make one think that all three of these tools are pretty similar. That's slightly true, but there are some unique items that should be shown off to help make your decision. Let's start with a comparison of the lists and then decide on which software offers the most bang for your buck. Or maybe you don't need all of those features and could save money with another software?
Let's find out:
Klaviyo breaks down its features into three functions: Listen, Analyze, and Act. This allows for a full suite of marketing tools from segmentation options to reporting, and social advertising to email campaigns.
Klaviyo explains that it attempts to provide enterprise marketing software for all types of stores, even if you're running a startup.
👉 Below is a list of some of our favorite features:
- Powerful integrations for the most popular ecommerce platforms like Shopify and BigCommerce.
- Deep segmentation for targeted groups like left-handed females or people who just bought a house in Georgia. Klaviyo explains that these examples are extreme but definitely possible.
- Website tracking to see what your customers are doing, giving you the ability to target certain customers. For instance, you might target frequent visitors who rarely buy.
- Specific personalization beyond the customer's first name. This includes items like cart details, product suggestions, and custom web feeds.
- Automation in the form of Facebook ads, email autoresponders, and messaging campaigns.
- Superior reporting with information on what drove a purchase in the first place.
- Contact list importing from places like MailChimp or Constant Contact.
- Excellent A/B testing for all email campaigns and workflows.
- Automatic workflows such as post-purchase followups, abandoned cart emails, and a welcome series.
- A reliable email designer and templates to make your designs look professional.
It's much easier to understand the features from Conversio than it is the competition. Conversio does a wonderful job of categorizing all of its tools into six basic groups.
👉 Here's what to expect in all of the pricing plans:
- Automated customer receipts with upsell modules and options for improving your relations with customers.
- Abandoned cart emails with premade campaigns to ensure that people come back to your store and complete purchases.
- Newsletters for keeping in touch with your users and sending out custom content like blog posts.
- Follow-up emails that automatically trigger when someone doesn't buy from your store for a certain period of time. These emails can also include coupons and other upsells.
- Product reviews that you can place in your emails to show just how much people love your products and brand.
- Feedback modules for retrieving information about how your customers are responding to your services and products.
- Pre-built automatic workflows that can be turned on with a single click and customized to fit your brand.
- An incredible email builder with easy-to-use modules and clean templates.
- Segmentation tools for sending out the appropriate emails to the right customers. For instance, you might automatically send out new female clothing styles to all of your female customers–but skip the men.
- Choices for rewarding your most loyal customers.
- Product reviews with customer upload buttons. This means that your customers can upload pictures of the products to be displayed on your website and emails.
- Trustworthy integrations with popular tools like OptinMonster, Wheeli, and Privy.
Jilt has an exciting set of features with everything from sales announcements to performance tracking.
👉 Here's what you have to look forward to:
- Promotional emails and newsletters with customization tools for products, photos, and customer data.
- A drag and drop editor, making it easy to add content modules and send out the emails.
- Unique sales announcements that get triggered when a certain group of customers does something. For instance, you might send out a sale email when people have reached a specific number of orders (aka rewarding your VIPs).
- Product news emails for when you need to send out a targetted email for things like updated items and new products.
- High-level segmentation so that only the people who want to see certain emails get them. For instance, one customer may only want newsletters while another wants to hear about sales and new products.
- Performance tracking with analytics for unsubscribes, opens, and clicks.
- Abandoned cart recovery tools that contact your customers after they have left something in the cart. You can also include coupons and other information in the emails.
- Post-purchase follow-ups with recommended products, or something more unique like product information or return policies.
- Automated new customer emails with information about your products.
- A unique automated email called “replenishment messages,” which remind customers that they might be running low on a certain product.
- Win-back campaigns with emails to entice old customers back to your store.
- Transactional emails such as receipts, shipping confirmations, and refunds.
- Specific ecommerce metrics for tracking performance and checking on your campaigns.
It's tough to choose based on all features, since each one has some unique elements that might help out distinctive companies.
I personally feel that Jilt has the most comprehensive list of features, along with some unique options like the replenishment messages.
That said, Klaviyo is a full suite of tools, and Conversio has the easiest, cleanest interface–making it a favorite for small to mid-sized stores.
Email Marketing: Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt
Much of the reason companies decide to go with Klaviyo, Conversio, or Jilt is because of the superior email marketing. The goal is to automate most of the email marketing with workflows. For example, you can send out a welcome email to new customers and even opt for emails to go out for receipts, reminders, and birthdays.
At the core of each email marketing module is the designer. So, we want to ensure that the design process is easy, while also offering automation tools for a more efficient workflow.
Klaviyo Email Marketing
Klaviyo is known for its deep personalization with its email marketing campaigns. It works by automating much of the traditional email newsletters you may be used to. For instance, Klaviyo sends out customized sale announcements, targeted campaigns, and newsletters with the help of your own curated content.
Lists and segments can be created to ensure that the right customers are receiving proper notifications. Targeting is the goal, which means you can form groups of people and automatically send them the emails that are most relevant to them.
Klaviyo also has a branding wizard that pulls the colors and logo from your website so that all of your emails and other messages look accurate. The drag and drop editor is there for you to customize any module, and you can always tap into the HTML editor for more advanced edits.
The designer is clean and simple enough for a beginner to understand, but it also boasts the power and multiple modules for running an efficient large online store.
Other than that, we enjoy the A/B testing from Klaviyo, since you can question anything from send times to button placement.
Conversio Email Marketing
For email marketing, Conversio links directly to your online store and provides one of the cleanest, most manageable email marketing tools you can find. Most of it is based on automation for when you need to send out a receipt or feedback email.
Brand your emails with a logo and colors, and work with the drag and drop editor to insert certain personalization tags like customer orders and names.
Overall, I would argue this is the most intuitive of all the designers we're reviewing today, and it only makes things better that the modules are so easy to understand and implement. For instance, you can quickly insert modules for feedback, newsletters, abandoned cart info, and receipt details.
Jilt Email Marketing
Jilt provides everything from automated email to newsletters, and abandoned cart recovery to transactional messages. The email editor has drag and drop functionality, and you can choose from a wide range of templates.
We also like the fact that Jilt lets you add product recommendations and dynamic coupon codes to any email. Pair that with the rather unique replenishment emails and you have a nice email platform for automatically connecting in more unusual ways.
Based on the interface, I would argue that Conversio comes out with a big win here.
However, if you want the most features, consider either Klaviyo or Jilt for your email design.
Integrations: Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt
Each of the marketing tools we're talking about has its own set of integrations. Some of them focus more on joining with ecommerce platforms, while others are exceptional for combining with rewards programs or form software.
The Klaviyo integrations extend from CRM platforms to rewards programs.
You can check out all of the integrations here and sift through the different categories like:
- Helpdesk software
- Email list tools
- Marketing tools
- Ecommerce platforms
- Payment software
Some of the most popular (and useful) Klaviyo integrations include the following:
- Many more
This is a huge collection of integrations that should not be understated. It appears that all of the major ecommerce platforms are supported, and you can take advantage of many other business tools without having to worry about integrating them yourself. You can also access the Klaviyo API to integrate just about any software you want.
Conversio definitely doesn't have as many integrations as the competition, but it does focus on some of the absolute essentials. For instance, you can utilize Conversio if you have any of the following ecommerce platforms:
👉 Some other integrations include the following:
The ecommerce platform integrations are the big dogs that many people are running their sites through. In addition, you can take advantage of integrations for popups, loyalty programs, and sweepstakes. That said, it's still a smaller library of integrations that can't compete with Klaviyo.
Jilt has some solid ecommerce platform integrations, but it falls short outside of that. In fact, we would put Jilt in third place in this category.
Although there are options for integrating with outside tools, there's not much information on how to do this on the Jilt website.
👉 Having said that, here are the ecommerce platforms that work with Jilt:
Klaviyo is the clear winner in the integration arena. Not only does it have dozens of ecommerce platform and outside software integrations, but all of them are nicely organized into a library with filters. Conversio is a distant second in terms of quantity, but the company does seem to focus on what you actually need the most. Jilt has some nice ecommerce platform integrations, but that's about it.
Which Ecommerce Marketing Automation Tool is Right for You?
When comparing Klaviyo vs Conversio vs Jilt, it becomes clear that each has its own advantages.
Here are our final thoughts:
- If you want the most popular marketing solution – Consider Klaviyo.
- If you're a small business on a budget – Jilt has the best rates.
- If you're running a larger business – Conversio makes the most sense in terms of pricing.
- For large feature-sets – Go with Jilt or Klaviyo.
- For the cleanest, easiest interface to use – Go with Conversio.
- If you want the largest collection of integrations – Klaviyo wins.
Let us know in the comments if you have any questions about our comparison!
Featured image credits: Shuttersock