Who's Wix Editor X?
As you've probably gathered from the intro, Editor X is best-suited for web designers and agencies. It's explicitly designed to eradicate the tedium of creating the same design to compliment different screen sizes.
It stands to reason, what looks stunning on a smartphone screen might not look as good on a laptop. Not only that, but with the rise of Google’s mobile-first indexing, responsive design isn't just key to enhancing user experience, but it's increasingly important for search engine optimization (SEO).
This is where Editor X comes into its own.
It boasts the same intuitive drag-and-drop builder Wix is famous for while enabling you to create fully responsive and more sophisticated web designs, without needing any CSS know-how.
In short, Editor X is a welcome addition for anyone:
- Well-versed with using website builders
- Boasts programming knowledge
- That craves a vast degree of design flexibility.
- That desires to build a website from scratch.
Wix Editor X's Key Features
- Grid layout: The advanced 2D layout system is based on a CSS grid
- Docking: This enables you to anchor elements into a specific position, no matter the viewpoint.
- Custom breakpoints: This permits you to customize designs to suit any viewport – gone are the days where you could only tailor to the needs of classic devices
- Stack and scale media: This feature ensures the seamlessly responsive behavior of your website.
- Text scale: Utilize this tool to generate scalable font sizes
- Flex layouter: This is an intelligent layout system that harnesses the power of flexbox technology. This automatically reorganizes your web content and resizes web pages to optimize them for whatever device your website visitor's using.
- Flexible canvas: This comes with resizing handles to allow you and your team to view and customize your web design across multiple viewports.
- Advanced sizing control: Here, you can define whether a web design element is ‘fixed' or ‘fluid.'
Website Creation with Editor X
A Wix Editor X Review: Its Pros and Cons
For those on the fence about Wix Editor X, here's a quick rundown of its main pros and cons to help you decide whether this solution is right for you:
- It's incredibly customizable. So rest assured, you'll be able to bring your vision to life. You can modify and reposition elements to look precisely how you like, opting to have them as either ‘fixed ‘or ‘fluid.' The choice is yours. Also, Editor X's flexible grids grant higher levels of customization regarding web page layout, in comparison to the traditional Wix website editor. On top of all of that, you can even insert vector art graphics from Wix's media library. Here you'll find tons of icons and video animations to enhance the interactivity of your site. These are just a few of the ways Editor X is exceptionally customizable…but you get the idea!
- If a fully responsive web design is crucial to you, this platform is a great fit.
- Just like Wix's regular editor, with Editor X, you get access to tons of useful plugins via the Wix app market. These provide a simple way of extending the overall functionality of your website.
- It's easy to preview your designs across all device sizes before you go live.
- You benefit from lots of advanced SEO tools. For instance, it's easy to edit meta-descriptions and URLs.
- Editor X's website templates are sleek, sophisticated, and very professional-looking.
- You can add a blog to your website via a plugin. This is super simple to do and comes with an impressive array of blogging features, including categories, a comments section, and you can schedule your posts.
- Wix's analytics and reporting tools are good quality, and you can integrate with Google Analytics (only with a premium plan)
- Wix tracks every edit you make to your website, so you have access to your full version history. As such, you have the option of switching back to a previous version of your site. And, in the case of an emergency, you can restore it to its latest version – so you'll never lose your precious work!
- It's still in Beta version, so it's not quite perfect yet.
- There isn’t a way to integrate snippets of ad code, so if you want to monetize your website using Google AdSense, this isn't the platform for you.
- It's only available in English – so if you want to craft a multilingual site using this platform, this isn't the best option. However, Wix is working on adding more languages, so keep an eye out for any updates on that!
- In comparison to its competitors, Editor X doesn't offer a vast breadth of templates to choose from. At the time of writing, there are only eight. But, watch this space, Wix has promised to release more in the future!
- As we've already hinted at, Editor X is best suited for more advanced users, so if you're new to web design, this isn't the website builder for you.
- You don't have the freedom to toggle between Wix's regular editor and Editor X. This means you have to choose from the get-go which editor you want to utilize before building your website.
- Some users say report that the quality of Wix's customer support could be improved.
A Wix Review: How Much Does Wix's Editor X Cost?
When purchasing anything for your business, costs are often a significant factor. So, here's how much you'll need to budget if you fancy using Wix's Editor X.
The Free Plan
Yes, this really is free.
You don't have to pay a penny for Editor X's freemium version. However, Wix's ads are plastered all over your website, and you can't connect your own domain name. This plan is best for testing and familiarizing yourself with the editor, before committing your hard-earned cash to any of the paid-for subscriptions.
Needless to say, it's not the ideal solution for anyone serious about establishing a professional and reputable online presence.
The cheapest paid plan sets you back $5 a month. Although your website will still have Wix's ads on them, as the title of the package suggests, you can connect your site with your own web domain.
For $13 a month, like the previous package, you can connect your own web domain with your website. On top of that, Wix's ads are removed from your site, and you'll unlock plenty of webspace. This makes it ideal for anyone looking to design and launch a smaller, albeit professional website – it's fantastic for small businesses!
With Wix’s Combo plan, you're entitled to a domain name for free (during your first year). After that, you'll have to shell out roughly $14.95 (or more) depending on how many years you subscribe for in one go. At this point, it's also worth noting, Wix's domains all support SSL certificates.
For $17 a month, you'll acquire more storage (up to 10 GB).
Business & eCommerce
As the name of this package aptly implies, with this plan, you can launch your own online store. For just $23 a month, you can start selling online. Plus, you'll also get access to premium apps like Wix Hotels and Wix Bookings. Needless to say, out of all of the Wix accounts, this is the best in terms of business solutions.
A Wix Editor X Review: Our Final Thoughts
As we bring this Wix Editor X review to a close, here are our final thoughts.
All in all, this solution is ideal if you want a website builder that offers tons of editing and customization freedom. This is especially true if you wish to design 100% responsive websites. It’s perfect if you have advanced design and programming know-how.
Although Wix’s Editor X is only in Beta mode (at the time of writing), so it's still not perfect, we're confident that as this program unfolds, Editor X will go from strength to strength.
Are you considering Wix Editor X? Or do you think you'll go for one of their competitors like Squarespace, Shopify, Weebly, or WordPress? Either way, let us know how you get on the comments box below, we'd love to hear from you. Speak soon!