In the age of online commerce, retailers are constantly looking for ways to cut down on costs while still providing customers with the best service. One of the ways to cut costs, inventory, and overall hassle is to drop shipping your products.
In short, dropshipping is where the supplier holds your inventory and ships it to the customer instead of your company doing that work. Unfortunately, this causes less control over your shipping speeds and product quality. However, a service called Modalyst is doing a great job of changing that.
One of the best things about Modalyst is that they offer a curated marketplace of handpicked suppliers from the US and Europe. This way you don't have to worry about the quality of items from places like China and India, and the products get shipped to your customers much faster.
Although dropshipping through a service like AliExpress is nice, it's not uncommon to see two or three-week shipping windows.
That's unacceptable, so I'm excited to try out Modalyst and see how well it works for e-commerce professionals.
Top Features of Modalyst
1. Curated Marketplace of US / European Suppliers
If you are looking to dropship products from suppliers that are based in US or Europe and have unique, high-quality products, this is your goldmine! Modalyst offers a curated Marketplace of products that are hard to find elsewhere. Looking for eco friendly products? How about made in the USA products? You can find them here. Furthermore, Modalyst offers direct communication with these Suppliers so Retailers can build relationships with brands they trust. This distinguishes Modalyst from the other marketplaces out there and we find it to be a top feature.
The Modalyst Marketplace offers the following:
- Handpicked, independent suppliers from places like the US, UK, and Europe.
- Suppliers that have been vetted by the Modalyst team.
- Many of the suppliers offer hard-to-find products so you can sell in certain niches.
- You can communicate with each supplier directly.
2. Affordable Trendy Womenswear that ships fast
Often times when looking for on-trend products for women, Retailers find that either the products are too expensive to make any money or they are shipped from China and take 3-4 weeks to get to their customers. Luckily, Modalyst offers a catalogue that has thousands of fashion forward products at great prices (think Zara but cheaper!). Additionally, while these products are certainly made in China, the Supplier has warehouses all over the world (including the US) so you can guarantee they will be delivered within a week to your US customers. Hallelujah!
The Shein Marketplace is available for finding trendy and affordable fashion. Some benefits include:
- A Chrome extension for importing.
- Fast shipping to the US (6-8 days for standard and 2-3 days for expedited.)
- The products are stored in warehouses near all major markets, allowing for quick delivery.
- Every order over $49 that's sent to the US gets free shipping.
3. Integrations: Shopify and Bigcommerce
Modalyst integrates with both Shopify & Bigcommerce. Their app on Shopify is well rated.
The apps are useful because they offer lots of automation which takes out a ton of the labor involved with managing hundreds of Suppliers. One of the biggest highlights is that it offers one-click sourcing so products can be added to your storefront immediately.
Some of the other benefits of grabbing the Shopify or Bigcommerce apps:
- You can manage all of the products and suppliers on one platform.
- Product feeds for things like imagery, inventory, and pricing are updated in real-time.
- Modalyst lets you edit the products and all variants before publishing to your store
- Orders are synced so Suppliers are automatically notified to start processing
- Tracking numbers are synced so customers know when the products will arrive
When you take a look at the Modalyst pricing for ecommerce retailers you start to realize that it's something everyone selling online should at least try. The reason for that is because it offers a free Basic Plan that allows for unlimited products with the Chrome Extension and up to 25 products from their curated marketplace. After that, the pricing is also quite affordable.
Here are the plans:
- Basic – This plan is $0/ month and you get the Chrome extension to source from millions of products. The catch is that here's a 25 product limit from the Modalyst Curated Marketplace. There is also a 5% transaction fee, and unlimited orders. You also get lots of product automation features.
- Pro – For $45 per month you can can source unlimited products from the Modalyst marketplace. It's also nice since you can have unlimited products and orders. The transaction fee drops to 2%.
- Premium – This is a $150 per month plan for high-volume stores. The transaction fee goes down to 1% and you still get everything from the previous plans.
Are There Any Additional Costs?
With e-commerce, hidden costs and fees are quite common. However, Modalyst has a solid system for keeping those extra fees pretty much non-existent.
For instance, you have the opportunity to source from certain Modalyst suppliers that offer free shipping. Therefore, you can either pass the savings onto your customers (hopefully increasing sales) or still charge for shipping to maintain your margins.
What's cool is that Modalyst provides a profit calculator and some excellent pricing rules to automatically mark-up products based on rules you create. It lets you have different rules for each of the marketplaces.
Modalyst Review: Customer Support
The Modalyst Help Center is open 24/7. The Help Center is a knowledge base with a large selection of articles. It's a great resource, but you have to complete all of the research yourself. If you're looking for direct, personal support, the Modalyst support team replies to everything that comes through email@example.com.
Along with that, Modalyst has a blog with advice on dropshipping. You can also follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.
Who Should Consider Modalyst?
If you run an e-commerce store or plan on doing so in the future, Modalyst is one of those services that you should try at some point. Drop shipping is becoming the new normal, but until Modalyst there wasn't as much control over shipping speeds or quality.
Since Modalyst has a free plan you can take it for a test drive. After that, the pricing isn't bad, and you know you're partnering with great suppliers.
Hope that almost everything has been covered in this Modalyst Review.If you have any questions about Modalyst, or if you'd like to share your experience, let us know in the comments below.