Whether you’re new to digital marketing or a seasoned pro, the tools you use for your email marketing strategy never cease to be important. One example of such a tool is Optinmonster. This software enables list building using all kinds of different techniques. For instance, scroll boxes, floating bars, lightbox pop-ups, gamified wheels, and more. It's also popular for its wide range of templates, ease of use, and the ability to create non-interruptive ads.
However, the software has some downsides, especially for lead generation veterans that want to offer something more unique on their website.
For instance, some Optinmonster users complain that…
- Pop-ups look familiar. With 700,000 websites already using Optinmonster, you risk customers seeing similar-looking pop-ups before.
- Optinmonster is expensive. Some of its key features are locked behind costly pricing tiers, reaching up to $80 per month.
Fortunately, if Optinmonster isn’t for you, you're by no means stuck. It's not the only software on the web that you can use to create professional-looking pop-ups for your website.
So, in this article, we're looking at the best Optinmonster Alternatives to help you decide on the best pop-up software for your business. There's lots to cover, so let's dive straight in!
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Unbounce
Unbounce is predominantly a landing page builder with an incredibly interactive user interface. However, you can also create popups and sticky bars too.
In addition, you benefit from an intuitive drag and drop editor that enables you to build engaging landing pages without having to write a single line of code or hire a developer. There are over 100 customizable templates to pick from.
It's easy to add text, buttons, videos, social widgets, etc. Not to mention you can edit each element. Let's take the text element as an example; you can adjust the font, size, color, add links, etc. On top of that, you can add metadata and alt descriptions which is excellent for boosting your SEO (search engine optimization).
Not to mention, you can register team members, which is great for streamlining and fostering collaboration, and access the following other features:
- Dynamic text replacement
- GDPR Compliance
- SSL Encryption
- A high-quality library of stock photos (from Unsplash)
- Mobile optimized pages
It's also worth mentioning that Unbounce recently launched an AI-powered solution which comprises:
- The Smart Builder: Best described as a virtual design assistant that uses dynamic layouts to engage website visitors according to your specific industry, audience, and goals.
- Smart Copy: This Google Chrome extension comes in handy if you're looking to generate lots of written content. Just highlight the copy on any web page. Then, the plugin will help you write, rewrite, or expand the text across six languages (including English, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, German, and French).
- Smart Traffic: This tracks things like conversion patterns, visitor behavior, and traffic segments and compiles this info into easy-to-read reports.
Lastly, Unbounce comes with plenty of popular third-party integrations, including Zapier, Google Analytics, and Facebook.
For Unbounce's Smart Builder, there are three pricing packages (costs below are based on monthly billing)
- Launch: $90 a month
- Optimize: $135 a month
- Accelerate: $225 a month
Then, there are two separate plans for Unbounce's Smart Copy functionality:
- The free version
- Growth: $49 a month
Unbounce Pros and Cons
- Unbounce makes it quick and easy to design and publish high-quality landing pages and pop-ups
- There's a decent array of attractive templates to choose from
- A/B testing is available
- Unbounce's conversion tracking tools are handy
- Cross-channel reporting is possible
- Unbounce might be too expensive for smaller businesses on tighter budgets.
- The design freedom and array of functionality come with a steep learning curve that can be overwhelming for some users.
- You can't add countdown timers to your landing pages – this isn't an in-built feature.
Further reading 📚
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: ConvertPro
Like OptinMonster, ConvertPro is an incredibly feature-rich WordPress lead generation tool. It's intuitive to use, and OptinMonster's technical support is also pretty good. You can reach a support agent via email or support ticket, and you'll be pleased to know that, generally speaking, users seem pleased with the quality and promptness of responses.
This SaaS boasts plenty of other features, including:
- A drag and drop editor
- You can create multi-step call-to-actions and position CTA's at the bottom of your posts, in-line with your content, or as a full screen.
- Access to a selection of ready-to-use popup designs optimized for conversions
- A Google Analytics integration and over 30 integrations with email service providers
- You can create exit-intent pop-ups.
- You can create slide-in forms and forms that sit in your info bar.
- You have access to split testing tools.
- Access to referrer, device, and AdBlock detection
- Access to real-time analytics
- White labeling
…to name a few!
ConvertPro offers two pricing plans (costs below are based on annual billing):
- Convert Pro: This typically costs $99 a year, however at the time of writing, ConvertPro's offering a discounted rate of $89 a year.
- Growth Bundle: This typically costs $523 a year, however at the time of writing, ConvertPro's offering a discounted rate of $249 a year.
ConvertPro Pros and Cons
- ConvertPro's drag and drop editor is straightforward to use
- The platform is entirely mobile-friendly
- You can create multi-step and exit intent technology to boost conversions
- ConvertPro makes A/B testing easy
- ConvertPro doesn't offer geolocation targetting
- There isn't a lightbox animation functionality
- There isn't a free version available
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Thrive Leads
Thrive Leads is another powerful WordPress lead generation plugin that comes with tons of features for capturing leads to grow your email list. Most notably, Thrive Leads empowers you to create all kinds of different opt-in forms, including:
- Popup lightbox
- Sticky ribbon/notification bar
- Forms in-line with your content
- Two-step opt-in forms
- Slide-in forms
- Screen filler overlay
- Multiple choice forms
…to name a few!
Thrive Leads comes with an intuitive drag and drop form builder. Here you can either create your own design from scratch or customize one of Thrive Leads' templates.
Then, once you've built your form, you can set triggers and targeting rules to ensure your forms appear to the right people at the right time. You can also split test your forms and keep an eye on Thrive Leads's in-built analytics to see what's working best for you.
Lastly, it's worth mentioning that Thrive Leads also integrates with popular email marketing services and webinar tools, including Mailchimp and Campaign Monitor.
There are two pricing plans; but on top of Thrive Leads, you also get access to all the other tools comprising the Thrive Suite, including:
- Thrive Theme Builder
- Thrive Architect
- Thrive Quiz Builder
- Thrive Apprentice
- Thrive Optimize
- Thrive Comments
- Thrive Automator
- Thrive Ultimatum
- Thrive Ovation
This will set you back $19 a month (based on annual billing). Or you can pay quarterly at $30 a month.
Thrive Leads Pros and Cons
- The form templates are easy to customize
- The pop-up builder is incredibly robust, empowering you to create lots of different pop-up types
- You get access to in-built split testing tools
- You benefit from in-built reporting
- Some users complain the form designs aren’t as modern-looking as they would like
- Thrive is specifically a WordPress plugin, so this isn't the solution for you if you're not a fan of WordPress sites.
- Thrive Leads comes with a bit of a learning curve, mainly familiarizing yourself with the terminology Thrive uses to describe its features and services.
Further reading 📚
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Bloom.io
Bloom is best described as a WordPress lead generation app explicitly designed for creative freelancers. From the convenience of your WordPress dashboard, you can access your Bloom accounts, email lists, conversion rates, and other data.
When it comes to form creation, there are six form types you can build:
- Below post
- Locked content
If web design isn't your strong suit, never fear; there are over 100 customizable templates to choose from.
You can tweak things like:
- Borders and edges
- Opt-in type
- Where the form appears on your website
- The form's orientation
…To name a few.
You can also publish unique forms displaying custom offers. Whether the visitor sees the offer depends on their geographic location or online behavior. This helps ensure customers only see relevant promotions, which, of course, goes a long way to boost your conversion rates!
Last but not least, you can also split test multiple variations of the same opt-in form to see how they perform.
Bloom.io has three pricing plans (the costs below are based on annual billing)
- Starter: Free
- Standard: $39 a month
- Studio: $79 a month
Bloom Pros and Cons
- The number and quality of form templates is impressive
- You can create six different types of forms
- Bloom's user interface is straightforward to navigate
- Access to A/B testing is a plus
- Bloom's in-built analytics tools are handy
- You can't create exit-intent pop-ups.
- There isn't a drag and drop builder, so you don't have the same level of design flexibility as some of the other competitors on this list.
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Ninja Popups
If you've already done some poking around the web into different popup solutions, you've likely come across Ninja popups. It's an incredibly popular plugin because of its broad array of features. Not to mention these popups are very responsive, meaning they work just as well on mobile devices as they do desktops.
It's also easy to customize your popup's design, including colors, size, and buttons. Like many other options on this list, Ninja Popups also boasts an intuitive drag-and-drop builder. Here you have the choice of building your popup from scratch or customizing a template (of which there are 65 to choose from).
These popups are also optimized for search engines, including quick script load times and compressed graphics.
Ninja Popups integrates with popular email marketing platforms, including MailChimp, Constant Contact, Freshmail, and HubSpot. That's as well as social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and Pinterest.
Once you've published your popup, you can then split test different variations to see which yields the highest conversions. You can also access detailed analytics to monitor the success of your lead generation strategy.
With a one-off fee of $24, NinjaPopups is likely one of the most affordable Optinmonster alternatives. This includes six months of support from the developer. If you want to extend this support for another 12 months, you can do so for $16.63. This license qualifies you to use the popup form builder on your own website. However, if you want to use the plugin for websites you're building for clients, this will cost you $155.
Ninja Popups Pros and Cons
- One-off pricing makes this popup builder a more affordable option
- There's a wide range of over 65 ready-made popup templates.
- There are over 74 animation effects you can use to grab visitor attention
- Full API access is available
- The plugin integrates with all major email marketing tools
- No coding skills are required with the visual drag-and-drop editor, it's very user-friendly
- With WPML readiness, all your popups are translatable
- You get free lifetime access to updates once you purchase your license
- Some users have complained about poor customer support at times. Some users have also found the tutorials unhelpful.
- While many like the ready-made themes, some say the theme-builder is clunky and outdated.
- Occasional the software can be a tad buggy.
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Getsitecontrol
Getsitecontrol is another pop-up software that hopes to win you more subscribers. With solutions for Shopify, WordPress, and Squarespace, Getsitecontrol suits a variety of users.
According to them, you can look forward to a 300% increase in revenue with their targeted upsell offers and 250% in list growth.
Sounds good – so how do they do it? GetSiteControl enables you to create email opt-in pop-ups that benefit from smart targeting, A/B testing, lead magnets. Not to mention you can build a wide range of pop-up types and designs. For instance, you can create upsell and cross-sell pop-ups with targeted product recommendations and announce deals and sales to improve your conversions.
You can also use this software to conduct surveys and polls on your website. Lastly, Getsitecontrol's cart abandonment feature lets you create an exit-intent pop-up that will alert customers when they still have items in the cart!
Getsitecontrol has three plans, all of which comes with branding-free widgets, the template library, and live-chat support:
- Creator: $9 per month, allows for 20,000 monthly widget views
- Pro: $19 per month, provides for 100,000 widget views
- Pro Max: $29 per month, supports over 500,000 monthly widget views
Getsitecontrol Pros and Cons
- You have a lot of customization freedom, including being able to edit the CSS code
- There's an awesome 312 pop-up templates in total
- Compared to other plugin plans, GetSiteControl is quite affordable
- You can control all widgets from one simple dashboard
- GetSiteControl comes with over 1,000 software integrations
- You can track your results in real-time
- You can enable full-screen pop-ups
- It's a fully mobile-responsive solution
- You benefit from advanced features like behavior triggers, dynamic text replacement, frequency control, and much more
- The pricing options are a little inflexible.
- Some users find the promotional widgets lacking.
- Support can, at times, be slow.
- Some people would prefer more options to customize their widgets, as the more complete CSS editing is only available on the pro plan.
Further reading 📚
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Leadpages
Leadpages is an Optinmonster alternative with small businesses in mind. It allows SMEs to connect with their audience, collect more leads, and close sales with its landing page, pop-up, alert bar creation tools.
The software comes with a drag-and-drop tool that makes it easy to design visually appealing and high-converting content and is already used by over 40,000 small businesses.
Its pop-up features include being able to set trigger events to ensure pop-ups appear at just the right time. In addition, you can delay pop-ups by a pre-set amount of time and create exit-intent pop-ups. Finally, you can post pop-ups on your landing pages or website.
There are two plans available with annual pricing:
- Standard: $37 per month
- Pro: $74 per month
Pros and Cons
- Customization is very intuitive
- You can drive unlimited traffic and collect unlimited leads from your pop-ups
- Leadpages comes with a free custom domain for one year
- There are over 40 standard integrations available
- There isn't a native Shopify integration.
- The pricing is costly if you’re only after pop-ups. Financially, Leadpages only makes sense if you're looking for a comprehensive website and landing page builder as well.
- Relatively basic pro features like A/B split testing only become available on the Pro plan.
Further reading 📚
Best OptinMonster Alternatives: Popupsmart
Popupsmart is the last on our list of the best OptinMonster alternatives. This no-code pop-up plugin aims to generate leads and grow your eCommerce store's revenue.
Popupsmart boasts that you can get started in just five minutes! However, Popup Smart is still a relatively young product with only around 3,000 users. But as it comes with a free plan and affordable premium versions, so it may be worth checking out.
You can customize pop-ups with no technical knowledge and use targeting to place and activate pop-ups where they're most likely to convert. There are over 18 targeting options in total, including scroll triggers, cookie targeting, geolocation, exit-intent, and much more. You're not limited to manual targeting either. Popup Smart’s AI enables lead predictive targeting to allow the software to make the best choices for you.
Smart tags also permit more personalization. For example, you can dynamically exchange the user’s name, alert them about products in their cart, and offer personalized discounts. Popup Smart also allows you to create forms, including prefill forms, which reduces the time it takes customers to fill them out and subscribe.
And finally, Popup Smart seamlessly communicates its analytics with your email marketing software.
Popup Smart offers a free plan and three premium plans billed annually:
- Free: This provides access to one pop-up for one website and limits you to 5,000 page views per month.
- The Basic plan: For $24 per month, this unlocks unlimited pop-ups with up to 100,000 page views
- Pro: $66 per month, supports up to 500,000 page views
- Expert: $108 per month supports up to 1,000,000 monthly page views
Popupsmart Pros and Cons
- You get access to advanced targeting options
- AI allows for smart lead targeting
- Smart tags allow for more personalization and better conversions
- You can adjust the language of your pop-ups based on the user’s browsing languages.
- The free plan is very limiting
- Some important features like custom CSS and custom fonts are only available with the more expensive Pro plan
- Documentation on how to customize templates isn’t very clear
Are You Ready to Use The Best Optinmonster Alternatives for Your Business?
We hope our list of the best Optinmonster alternatives has provided you with some inspiration if Optinmonster just isn’t quite for you. There are many alternatives available to consider. However, the best for you will all come down to your budget, the degree of customization you desire, and the features you want.
If you’re unsure which is right for you, here are our top picks for some specific use cases:
If you’re looking for an Optinmonster alternative with a similar feature-set and value proposition, Convert Pro might be your best bet. It comes with many advanced tools and great customization options and is quite affordable on its annual plans.
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a genuinely budget-friendly option and you're already using WordPress, we recommended checking out a simple plugin like Ninja Pop-ups. This tool is available for a one-off price with lifetime updates and will suit many small WordPress websites just fine.
GetSiteControl is another good general-use pop-up builder that the community loves and offers plenty of templates and features for an affordable price. The benefit of this option is that it integrates with Shopify and Squarespace also, and provides more eCommerce-focused options.
Have you tried any of these pop-up builders before? Are you thinking of switching to one of them from Optinmonster? Or, are you considering another app like WP Subscribe Pro, Sumo, Optimonk, or Icegram? Either way, let us know your thoughts in the comments box below.