When you consider the stats below, it's no wonder ecommerce owners want to use the best Shopify SEO apps:
- Last year, Google was responsible for just shy of 75% of all global desktop traffic.
- 67.60% of clicks come from the first five organic search engine results
- 70% of marketers believe SEO is more effective than PPC.
So, with these SEO-related figures at the forefronts of our minds, let's explore the best Shopify SEO apps on the market. Rest assured, it doesn't matter whether you're an SEO expert or utterly green; there will be a plugin here to suit you.
Let's dive in!
The Best Shopify SEO Apps
Over 30,000 Shopify stores trust Plug in SEO to help them optimize their site for SEO – and for a good reason. It markets itself as the: ‘Complete SEO App,' and does exactly what it says on the tin. It's an all-in-one app that provides all the tools you need to analyze, fix, and optimize your online store's SEO.
Best of all, Plug in SEO's customer's report that it's easy to set up and use, making it an excellent choice for digital marketers of all experience levels.
We also love that it integrates with: Google, Bing, Langify, Locksmith, and Search Console (also available on the Shopify App Store).
- There's a free forever plan. This entitles you to unlimited SEO, a blog, and website speed problem checks. You'll also receive instructions & code for how to fix these issues, automatic email alerts, and email support.
- For $20 a month, you'll unlock the SEO Plus plan. You'll get everything in the freemium package plus automatic SEO improvements, free installation, instruction videos, premium support, structured data (+ full JSON-LD), and robust SEO control.
- There are hundreds of glowing customer reviews (which fuels us with confidence). One particular testimonial spoke about how the Plug in SEO team quickly analyzed all their SEO problems and suggested fixes for their most high-profile issues.
- This app is excellent for anyone wanting to find out how to optimize their website for SEO rankings.
- You get access to a wide array of SEO tools, including JSON-LD rich snippets, bulk edit SEO, blog optimization, fix meta titles and descriptions, 404 broken links, etc.
- If you're entirely new to SEO, the instructions and how-to videos can seem complicated.
- Some customers complain about the price of their premium package.
- One user complained about the quality of their page speed tests. Plug in SEO said it was okay, but when they conducted a Google test, they got an incredibly low score. So, in this case, there seemed to be somewhat of a disconnect.
Smart SEO may be the app for you if you want a plugin that focuses on automation. It's the ideal solution for instantly generating meta tags, alt tags, and JSON-LD structured data. You just select a template, and the Smart SEO handles the rest!
Smart SEO claims to be the only Shopify app to handle meta tags automatically. With most of its competitors, you have to wait for hours and, in some cases, even days, for meta tags to generate. Conversely, Smart SEO has the job done within seconds!
While we're on the subject of meta tags, Smart SEO offers another unique feature – multi-language support for meta tags (as well as its JSON-LD structured data). This is especially handy for e-commerce site owners running multilingual stores, as it's easy to create meta tags for each language.
All in all, time-saving is a massive part of Smart SEO's USP. In fact, they claim to help customers cut down the time they spend on SEO-related tasks by over 80%!
- The Free version: You get access to meta and ALT tag optimization, a tool to fix broken backlinks, and you can manage your sitemap and no-index tags.
- The Pro plan costs $4.99 a month. You'll get everything in the free program, plus you can Add JSON-LD and remove microdata.
- You can automatically generate meta descriptions, alt tags, fix broken links, and manage your sitemap.
- It's easy to provide structured data to Google in JSON-LD format.
- This app supports Shopify Store Languages (its multi-language) feature.
- Some users complain that getting set up with the app can be a challenge
- Like all SEO apps, it takes a while for users to see results
SEO Optimizer prides itself on being able to identify and fix all Shopify SEO issues – both traditional on-page SEO and ‘behind the scenes' issues. Most notably, sitemap, Structured data (JSON LD), 404 monitoring, etc.
Here's a quick rundown of SEO Optimizer's core features:
- Meta tag and description fixing
- Image ALT tag fixing
- Image compression and renaming
- The website speed booster
- Real-time 404 error tracking and a broken links fixer
- Sitemap submission
- Google Search Console and Google Page Speed integrations
- Google Knowledge Graph support
- JSON-LD data support
- A Google mobile-friendliness test (to ensure you provide a premium experience for customers using mobile devices to browse your website)
- The Manual Plan (free) – This entitles you to 200 manual modifications per month (but SEO Optimizer plans to soon change this to unlimited – so keep your eyes peeled for that!), manual SEO audits, meta title and description optimization, image compression, and you can add image alt-text.
- The Automated Plan ($18.99 a month). Here, you get a free five-day trial to try all of Pro plan's features. On top of everything in the free package, you also get meta title and description fixing and image alt-text fixing, as well as sitemap submission and a Google integration.
- The SEO Optimizer will find and fix all your SEO issues. For instance, they'll identify massive images that slow down your web page's loading times and compress them automatically.
- Unlike many of SEO Optimizer's competitors, all SEO fixes are implemented directly inside of your online store. So, if you uninstall the app, you can keep all of your changes!
- This app automatically finds and fixes broken links.
- You can add JSON-LD to your store.
- Some users report complications when connecting SEO Optimizer with their Google Search Console account.
- Some customers complain that the app is slow to load.
Shopify boasts tons of perks, but when it comes to editing meta titles and descriptions for SEO optimization, it's somewhat lacking. This is where an app like Ultra SEO comes to the rescue.
Ultra SEO provides users with an intuitive dashboard where you can fully edit your product’s meta tags – including its:
- The keywords you want to optimize your web page for
- The name of the author
On top of that, you also get a preview tool. Here you can see what your metadata looks like inside of the search engine results. As you go about modifying your metadata, Ultra SEO also tells you the number of characters to use to optimize the text best.
*Typically, your meta tags will appear in Google's search engine results within a week.
There's only one package to choose from, and it's $10 a month. But, before you commit your hard-earned cash, you can try the app for free for seven days.
- It's a simple one-click install – you don't need to edit a single line of code to get up and running (unlike some of its competitors)
- You have total control over your meta tags, keywords, and author tags
- You get access to a quick SEO analysis that makes recommendations on what to improve
- In comparison to its competitors, its SEO features are somewhat limited.
SEO Manager prides itself on offering all the SEO features you need from the convenience of a single app.
This plugin also furnishes you with a step-by-step tour guiding you through the app's core features. That's as well as an array of thorough self-help documents. So, rest assured, there's plenty of support available with this plugin.
SEO Manager offers more than 20 features, 15 of which are unique to SEO Manager. Let's take a sneak peek…
- You can edit page titles and descriptions
- You get access to a keywords field and a Google result simulator
- You can conduct an SEO scan. This flags SEO problems and provides possible solutions
- A keyword suggestions tool
- An image ALT tag issues scan
- Title templating
- Index/No Index
- Advanced metadata settings
- Google Page Speed, Google Search Console Analytics, and Google Trends integrations
- A Google mobile-friendly test
- Access to product “unavailable after” meta
- You can redirect your “out of stock” products
- SEO control over tag filtered collections
- 404 error logging, management, export, import, and real-time repairs
- Google knowledge graph support
- JSON-LD Data support
- It works with Kit
- Local business structured data
- Google sitemap management and submission
There's one package available, and this costs $20 a month. But before committing your money, you can try it for free for seven days.
- SEO Manager offers tons of features, including an SEO scan, meta content tools, keyword suggestions, a Google Search Console integration, search analytics, etc.
- You can add JSON-LD structured data to your site.
- You get access to broken link management tools (including automatic fixes to keep 404 errors to a minimum)
- You'll receive real-time feedback on your SEO progress.
- There's a handy step-by-step tour (which is definitely worth taking) to familiarize yourself with the app's 20 features.
- A few users have complained about complications surrounding refunds.
- There are a few generalized complaints about the speed and quality of SEO Manager's customer support.
JSON-LD for SEO claims to be: ‘the safest, easiest, and most effective way to get Rich Results for your Shopify store.'
Since the app launched in 2015, thousands of stores have trusted this plugin to provide them with the best structured data for their website.
One of the most notable things about JSON-LD for SEO is that its ‘automatic installer' genuinely is automatic. With just a few clicks, the app inserts the necessary code for each of your web pages to boast the specific structured data it needs.
This app connects with loads of review apps, including:
- Ali Reviews
- RatingWidget – professional or business plans
- Reviews.io / Reviews.co.uk
- Rivio Reviews
- Ryviu Reviews
- Shopify Product Reviews
- Shopper Approved
- Social ShopWave
- Stamped.io – paid plans (free plans covered by Shopify’s Product Reviews)
- Super Reviews
- Trust Reviews
- Yotpo – free and paid plans
You're charged a $299 one time fee, which unlocks the app's full suite of features and includes a lifetime's worth of updates.
- With the creation of rich results and snippets, you should, eventually, see a boost in organic traffic and conversion rates.
- You get access to in-depth FAQ sections.
- This app is always adding new integrations to its already pretty impressive list.
- JSON-LD for SEO claims to produce results far quicker than its competitors, on average 31 days vs. 240-390 days.
- There are a few complaints regarding the quality of their customer support team – however, it's worth mentioning that these seem to be few and far between.
Like many of the apps listed here, AVADA SEO provides a pretty impressive list of features (especially when you consider it's 100% free!)
AVADA SEO's functionality includes:
- Being able to assign ALT tags automatically to every image on your product pages, collection pages, and blog posts.
- Image optimization that quickens the loading speed of your web pages
- You can add Google structured data to your product pages, collection pages, and the blog listing page.
- You can automatically optimize your meta titles and descriptions.
- You can verify your website's authority with Google Search Console, Bing, Pinterest, Yandex Webmaster Tools, Baidu, Alexa, Norton Safe Web.
- You can add social metadata to show previews of your web pages on your social media profiles.
- You can add 404-page redirections to specific URLs
- You can add an HTML sitemap listing.
- Instant page loading
- You can run an SEO analysis, which comes complete with a problem report (and solutions for how to improve).
- Google Search Console, Pagefly, Shogun, GemPages, LayoutHub, Loox, Yotpo, Ali reviews, Judge.me, Rivyo, Opinew, Cross Sell, and Personalizer integrations.
AVADA SEO Image Optimizer is entirely free!
- The developers promise to continue to run this app for free forever.
- Considering you don't have to pay a penny – this plugin has loads to offer.
- AVADA SEO plans to release a new feature (soon) where users can convert PNG images into JPG
- Optimizing the size of your images using this app is a breeze.
- This app is straightforward to use; it's very newbie-friendly
- There are a few general customer service complaints.
- One user complained that despite removing the app, there were still remnants of the plugin's code that cluttered their Shopify theme.
SEO Booster describes itself as a: one-size-fits-all SEO solution. It's an excellent choice for anyone new to SEO optimization that wants to get started. You don't have to do any coding – instead, you can get started in just a matter of clicks!
SEO Booster provides you with:
- Your current SEO score
- An SEO checklist
- Your current page ranking
On top of that, you can also add JSON-LD structured data to your website, which makes it much easier to rank higher in search engine results. Best of all, the app automatically updates the ALT texts for all your images and redirects any invalid links.
We also want to highlight SEO Booster's new feature. This auto-scans your online store for duplicate content. For the uninitiated, having the same content on different areas of your website (or copied content from another website) can harm your SEO score and ranking. This is why SEO Boost brings this to your attention and helps you eradicate any duplicate content.
You'll enjoy a seven-day free trial with SEO Booster's premium plan.
- The Free Plan: With this package, you'll get an SEO scan, detailed instructions on how to fix your SEO issues, a Google sitemap, and bulk image ALT text optimization for 30 products.
- The Growth plan costs $18.99/month. This enables you to add JSON-LD and provides access to auto keyword and broken link management tools, a competitor's website diagnosis, and image ALT text optimization for unlimited products (on top of everything included in the free plan).
- You can automatically check and fix SEO errors.
- SEO Booster walks you through the entire process step by step, so you'll have all the know-how you need to enhance the quality of your website's SEO.
- Users report that the app can be challenging to set up.
- Some users complain about slow customer service.
- One user said SEO Booster's interface looked a tad outdated.
The Ampify Me team who created the AMP app comprises a group of experts with years of e-commerce experience behind them, which inspires confidence, which is probably why over 15,000 stores use this plugin. As its name suggests, this app ensures your shop delivers a high-quality AMP experience to your visitors. Most notably, faster loading times and a truly mobile-friendly interface.
With AMP's freemium plan, you can choose from over seven AMP themes. Then if you upgrade, there are 100 for you to use.
Who should use this app?
It's a fact that AMP pages are more likely to rank higher than your non-AMP pages. So if your web pages aren't AMP ones, it's definitely worth considering this plugin.
Below are some of the core features AMP has to offer:
- A robust AMP editor (which is very similar to the look and feel of Shopify's editor)
- AMP validations
- A custom domain with CDN and 99.9% SLA
- Integrations with lots of popular apps – including Yotpo, Judge.me, Loox, Stamped.io, Shopper Approved, Google AMP, Progressify Me PWA, Google AMP, and AMP Project.org
- Access to analytics tools
- The Free plan includes: Unlimited AMP views and products, links to your store, access to analytics tools, a powerful editor, themes that match your brand, and a sticky ‘Add to cart.'
- The Hobbyist plan costs $9.99 a month. You'll get everything in the free package, plus: AMP collection pages, advanced analytics, third-party app integrations (including 13 different review plugins), a suggested product tool, and AMP Validation.
- The Small Company plan costs $29.99 a month. You'll get everything above, and a custom domain, pages on any URL you want with CDN, amplified blogs and Shopify pages, 99.9% SLA, a PWA integration, and home page support.
- The Enterprise plan costs $499.99 a month (or $4,999.99 per year). This unlocks a custom theme that matches your store. Plus, you can Ampify any page and create custom integrations and developments, and you'll get access to priority support.
- This app ensures all your web pages are AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). This works wonders for increasing your website's loading speed and enhancing your SEO.
- Users report a cheaper cost per click on their ads after using this app.
- In comparison to some of its competitors, AMP somewhat lacks in features. For instance, it doesn't support line item properties (an incredibly basic Shopify feature).
- Some users complain that AMP's customer service is slow and provides confusing advice.
Schema Plus for SEO is explicitly designed to help ‘search engines understand your content better.' Created by former Google software engineers, it's an incredibly sophisticated automatic schema app. Not only that, when compared to other Schema services, you soon notice this plugin offers a vast array of features.
For the uninitiated, Schema is an advanced markup code that you add to your website. Schema makes it way easier for search engines to index your web pages, and as such, it's excellent for boosting your SEO. The Schema Plus app claims to index the widest variety of pages of any other Schema installation app on the market.
Best of all, installing this extension is super easy. You just click the setup button, and Schema Plus will start indexing your site. You can monitor the progress of the app via a status bar – and once they're done, they'll let you know. When you start your free trial SchemaPlus installs itself automatically.
Rest assured, Schema Plus doesn't edit any of your code. So, if you uninstall the app, all traces of it go when you delete the plugin. This also has the added benefit that if you update your template, you won't have to reinstall the Schema Plus app each time.
Before you subscribe to Schema Plus's paid-for plan, you can enjoy a seven-day free trial.
This plugin costs $14.99 a month, for which you'll get:
- Comprehensive Schema
- A boost in SEO
- A Google Integration
- Excellent customer support
- Adding schema markup to your online store is incredibly simple. With Schema Plus, you'll display rich snippets in Google search results, including review stars of your website.
- You get access to 100% Google compatible automated schema for your content.
- It's a one-click install. This means you don't have to write any code or hire a developer to make the most out of this app.
- One user complained the app had issues with schema code that was already on their website, and when they contacted customer support, they didn't get a remedy quick enough (3+ days).
- That same user suggests the app could benefit from providing better self-help documentation so that customers can handle problems like the one highlighted above for themselves.
The crux of this app is that with just a click, it dramatically reduces the file size of your images – without losing any visible image quality. In some cases, this plugin claims to compress images by as much as 51%! The smaller the picture, the quicker your site loads, which, as we've said previously in this review, is excellent for SEO.
Google doesn’t know what your images are displaying unless you tell them. You can communicate this to Google by editing the Alt tag of your image and by giving it a descriptive file name.
This is where the Bulk Image Edit extension comes into its own because it marks your images with product titles, vendors, and options. This ensures Google displays your pictures to as many potential customers possible.
The app also empowers you to update your image alt text and file names in bulk, using customizable templates. Once this is all set up, the Bulk Image Edit app automatically updates any images you newly upload to your store using your pre-defined Alt text and file name templates.
On a separate note, all the images on your online store should boast the same width/height ratio to give your website a professional feel. This is why Bulk Image Edit provides the tools you need to make sure your images are the same width/height ratio.
Other features worth mentioning:
- You can insert text or image-based watermarks onto your images to protect them from being stolen by your competitors.
- You can preview your edits before they go live.
- You can undo any changes you've made.
- You get access to a Kit integration.
- The Starter Plan is free. Here, you can edit up to 50 images a month, schedule one active task, and edit unlimited alt texts. Regarding images, you can minimize them, convert them from PNG to JPG files, resize images to a square shape, and revert any edited photos to their original state. You also get access to a 30-day backup.
- The Basic Plan costs $9.99 a month. You get everything in the free plan, but you can edit up to 1,000 images a month, set five active scheduled tasks, and rename a limitless number of images. You can also crop your pictures, create frames for them, and add watermarks, and lastly, you get access to an extended 60-day backup.
- The Professional Plan costs $19.99 per month. You get everything in the previous two packages, plus 3,000 monthly edits, and you can set unlimited scheduled tasks. Plus, you get access to a 90-day backup.
- The Advanced plan costs $49.99 a month: You'll get everything listed in the packages above, as well as 10,000 monthly edits and a 180-day backup.
- It's easy to improve your SEO by optimizing your images for size, ALT tags, and file names.
- This app makes editing images in bulk straightforward – so that they're square, resized, or cropped to suit a variety of social media networks and online sales channels.
- Being able to add watermarks to your images in bulk saves you tons of time!
- There are a few complaints about the quality of Bulk Image Edit's customer service.
- One user has complained about image quality after they converted their pictures from PNG to JPG files.
SEO Onpage is an easy-to-use app that doesn't require you to do any coding. With just a click, this app reveals all your SEO issues. Then, once these are brought to your attention, you can use the variety of tools provided SEO Onpage to fix them.
With the free plan, you'll get access to the following:
- A scan for SEO issues
- Actionable suggestions for improving your SEO
- Access to a keyword exploration tool. This shows which keywords are trending right now, as well as the popularity of related keywords.
- The automatic update of limitless Alt-texts – you can even modify these in bulk with just a click.
- You can compress images by product, collection, asset, article (for 50MB worth of photos) to boost your web page loading times.
With SEO Onpage's paid-for package, AKA the ‘Unlimited Plan' – you'll get everything in the free bundle as well as more sophisticated features like:
- Full JSON-LD
- Content suggestions for SEO: You can add your target keyword, and the app will suggest how to optimize your content.
- You can connect your Google Search Console account to better track your keyword position, impressions, and website traffic.
- This app auto-generates, submits, and updates your sitemap to Google.
- This plugin auto-checks your websites for dead links
- There's a ‘block content' feature you can use to prevent specific pieces of content from appearing in search engine results.
- SEO Onpage's ‘Auto optimize' feature runs in the background to ensure everything about your eCommerce store is fully optimized.
- You can compress 12GB worth of images
- There's a free plan
- The Unlimited plan costs $19.99 a month
- The suggestions for how to fix your SEO problems are incredibly useful.
- Setting up this app is very easy. There's a handy guide for every configuration, and no coding is necessary.
- This app automates the majority of your online store's SEO optimization.
- One user complained that when they installed the app and tried to log in, they kept experiencing a 503 redirect.
- Another customer complained that while the app does compress pictures, it doesn't compress them on your home page. It only works on images that you've included in your collections, products, blogs, etc.
At the time of writing, hundreds of stores use the Plug in Speed Optimizer app to boost their SEO and increase conversions. One of the best things about this extension is that you can cancel at any time – and keep any optimizations you've made!
This app markets itself as a one-stop-shop for Shopify store owners wanting to boost the speed of their site. Most notably, optimizing your website's JS/CSS code and compressing your images.
The Plug in Speed Optimizer promises the following features:
- The use of Google's latest image optimization methods
- The compression of all of your collection, page, blog, theme, and product images
- The preservation of image quality
- You can compare your photos before and after they've been compressed
- 30-day backups
- Access to WEBP support
- There's no need for an extra CDN
- A positive time-to-first-byte impact
- An improvement in web page load time
- The automatic optimization of new images
Before you opt for any of Plug in Speed Optimizer's paid-for plans, you can test the app for seven days (free of charge).
- The Plus Plan: $59 a month – You get everything in the Basic package, but you can compress and optimize up to 20,000 images.
- The Premium Plan: $79 a month -You get everything in the previous two plans, but you can optimize and compress up to 50,000 images
- This app excels at improving the loading times of your web pages, which is great for boosting SEO rankings and increasing conversions.
- With just a click, you can set up automatic image optimization for all your images.
- The automatic compression and optimization of your website code is a massive perk.
- There have been a few complaints about Plug in Speed Optimizer's customer service team not responding to queries
- One user complained that it took over three days for the app to compress their images.
This plugin is ideal for any Shopify merchant wanting to create product FAQ content while boosting their SEO. This app works wonders for skyrocketing your positioning in search engine results and driving organic traffic to your website.
By indexing your product questions.
Here's an impressive stat, up to 75% of product questions answered using this app result in a sale. Not only is this great for your bottom line, but it's also fabulous for reducing your bounce and cart abandonment rates. In fact, the lifetime value of a prospect that comes from content optimized by this app is up to 2x more effective than Google traffic, and up to 6x more valuable than Facebook.
This plugin also provides:
- SEO insights into your current product descriptions
- A solution for eradicating duplicate product descriptions
It's also with noting, the Product Questions and Answers app integrates with the following third-party solutions: Zapier, Constant Contact, MailChimp, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
You can try this app for free for 30 days before committing to any of its paid-for plans:
- The Starter Plan: $19 a month (or $15 a month when billed annually $180 a year)
- The Professional Plan: $49 a month (or $39 a when billed annually at $468 a year)
- The Business Plan: $249 a month (or $199 a month billed annually at $2,388 a year)
- Users report an increase in conversions after using this app.
- The app provides an easy way to improve your website's SEO.
- When you consider that 20% of visitors click off online stores when there isn't enough product info available, it's no wonder this plugin helps to reduce your bounce rate. These FAQs work wonders for filling in the gaps in your product descriptions.
ProSEOTracker is another app explicitly designed to help you with your search engine optimization needs. This app provides easy-to-use tools to handle:
- Keyword research
- The bulk editing of your products, collections, categories, pages, and blogs
- The optimization of your metadata
Best of all, you'll also get access to an SEO audit tool, which makes evaluating the current state of your SEO so much easier, including where you're currently ranking on search engines like Google, Bing, etc. This feature makes it easy to correct any on-site errors and increase the likelihood of soaring up through the search engine results.
You also get access to an SEO analysis tool. This analyzes the ranking potential of your web pages, using the same technology as the search engines.
ProSEOTrack also integrates with both Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
- The Free Plan: This permits limited optimization of your metadata and content
- The Pro Plan at $9.95 a month. This unlocks bulk product editing and metadata tools. You can check SEO issues, and you'll get access to a site-auditor, SEO metrics, a keyword planner, rank tracking, a Google Analytics integration, and AdWords monitoring.
- The Premium Plan at $14.95 a month. You'll get everything in the Pro Plan, plus SemRush, Ahrefs, and a WooRank Audit.
- The bulk editors make editing your SEO titles so much quicker.
- You get access to a wide array of SEO management and optimization tools, most notably features to help you with:
- Competitor analysis
- Content ideas
- Keyword research
- Description editing
- These tools give you better insight into your traffic and keywords.
Ready to Start Using the Best Shopify SEO Apps?
We hope that having read this quick rundown, you now have a better idea as to the best Shopify SEO apps on the market. As we said at the beginning, our favorite is Plug in SEO, and our runner up is Smart SEO.
But, which, if any, are you considering downloading and using to make your Shopify site SEO-friendly? Whichever ones you opt for, let us know how you get on in the comments box below!
Featured image credits: ArchManStocker/DepositPhotos