Shopify discount codes don't come around that often, but there are plenty of ways to save on the top ecommerce platform! To begin, we have a wonderful, time-sensitive Shopify discount code that's exclusive to our readers and only available until June 30, 2022. Shopify always offers a free 14-day free trial to new subscribers, but this Shopify discount extends that time by an extra month, and only for $1.
How to Get a Shopify Discount Code
The previous offer is currently the best Shopify coupon you can find online, but there are many other ways to obtain discounts for Shopify, even if you happen to miss that deal, or if you'd rather get more of a long-term discount by opting for an extended Shopify membership.
In this article, we explore the several options you have to get a Shopify discount code, and some of the ways of receiving Shopify discounts without using a code at all, and with no minimum purchase requirement.
Here's How To Get a Shopify Coupon Code or Long-term Plan Discount
- Choose one of the Shopify discounts listed below.
- Make a free Shopify account by clicking through the link below whichever discount you want.
- Upgrade to a subscription plan that offers your desired Shopify discount.
- Build your online store and enjoy your discount for years to come! There's no need to type in a Shopify discount code for any of these long-term discounts.
This is simply a guide to help you save as much money as possible on Shopify plans. It's often confusing trying to figure out which pricing plans are the most economical, especially when getting started with a new online store. Therefore, we find it's best to outline the exact savings you can expect to see with the long-term (yearly) subscriptions. We also recommend checking out our Shopify pricing guide to gain a fuller understanding of what each plan offers.
Here's how to save the most money with Shopify discounts:
Save $261 on the Basic Shopify Plan (Up to 25% Off)
The Discount Details:
This deal doesn't require a Shopify discount code, rather it's available by opting for a long-term subscription with Shopify. By default, the Basic Shopify plan starts at a standard $29 per month.
However, it's possible to sign up for 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years to increase your monthly savings.
Simply choose from one of the following payment plans instead of the monthly option:
- 3 year billing for the Basic Shopify plan: $21.75 per month (A savings of 25%, or a total of $261 in savings over those 3 years)
- 2 year billing for the Basic Shopify plan: $23.25 per month (A savings of 20%, or a total of $138 in savings over those 2 years)
- Yearly billing for the Basic Shopify plan: $26 per month (A savings of 11%, or a total of $36 in savings over the course of the year)
Are There Any Other Savings With the Basic Shopify Plan?
When compared to the Shopify Lite plan—which doesn't really get you any discounts—the Basic Shopify plan provides an incredible shipping discount: Up to 77% off shipping rates from carriers like USPS, UPS, and DHL.
For credit card payment fees, there's not much in terms of discounts from the Basic Shopify plan; however, the standard 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction fee is better than many other payment processors, and it's significantly more affordable than just putting a PayPal button on your website.
Credit card fees vary based on the payment method, but Shopify continues to offer some of the most competitive rates.
Save $711 on the Shopify Plan (Up to 25% Off)
The Discount Details:
There's no need to type in a Shopify discount code to get up to $711 in savings with the Shopify plan. All you have to do is select a long-term subscription when your trial ends, or whenever you feel your website is ready to launch. Just make sure you go with the Shopify plan in order to take advantage of all these savings.
The Shopify plan has a default starting price of $79 per month.
However, you can save up to $711 over the course of 3 years if you decide to pay for 3 years in advanced. Even if that's too long for you, Shopify has other commitments for cutting that initial $79 per month price.
In fact, Shopify offers 1, 2, and 3 year billing, each of which have their own discounts.
When upgrading from your free trial, select one of the following options to save the most money:
- 3 year billing for the Shopify plan: $59.25 per month (A savings of 25%, or a total of $711 in savings over those 3 years)
- 2 year billing for the Shopify plan: $63.25 per month (A savings of 20%, or a total savings of $378 over those 2 years)
- Yearly billing for the Shopify plan: $71 per month (A savings of 11%, or a total savings of $96 over the course of the year)
Are There Any Other Savings With the Shopify Plan?
There are, indeed. Quite a few of them actually, some of which make this plan an extremely economical choice for serious online stores. And that's primarily because of the credit card fee discounts.
As you may have read in the previous section, the Basic Shopify plan has online credit card rates of 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. The Shopify plan, however, cuts that ongoing fee to 2.6% + $0.30, which could end up saving you thousands of dollars as you bring in more customers.
In addition, the in-person credit card rate for the Shopify plan decreases to 2.5% + $0.00, making it ideal for retail stores, or those accepting in-person payments.
To make things even better, the Shopify Plan increases shipping discounts to 88%, and that includes discounts to all the major carriers like DHL, USPS, and UPS.
Finally, the Shopify plan has several added features like support for more staff members, fraud analysis, and professional reports.
You may even notice that transactional credit card fees for international and Amex transactions go down with this plan as well—yet another reason to consider upgrading to the very popular Shopify plan.
Save $2,880 on the Advanced Shopify Plan (Up to 25% Off)
The Discount Details:
You don't need a Shopify discount code to save up to $2,880 on the Advanced Shopify plan. Instead, simply sign up for the plan, then choose a long-term billing option, whether that's a 1 year, 2 year, or 3 year subscription.
By default, the Advanced Shopify plan starts at $299 per month. That's with no discounts.
When signing up for the Advanced Shopify plan, pick one of the following billing timeframes to get Shopify's steepest discount:
- 3 year billing for the Advanced Shopify plan: $219 per month (A savings of 25%, or a total of $2,880 in savings over those 3 years)
- 2 year billing for the Advanced Shopify plan: $235 per month (A savings of 20%, or a total of $1,536 in savings over those 2 years)
- Yearly billing for the Advanced Shopify plan: $266 per month (A savings of 11%, or a total savings of $396 over the course of the year)
Are There Any Other Savings With the Advanced Shopify Plan?
Yes. The Advanced Shopify plan offers, by far, the steepest discounts out of any plan you can find from Shopify. Not only that, but you'll continue to save money with the rock-bottom, industry-leading credit card rates and shipping discounts.
All credit card fees get discounted in the Advanced Shopify plan, including domestic transactions, international, Amex, and in-person credit card rates:
- Domestic credit card rates drop to 2.4% + $0.30 per transaction
- International credit card rates decrease to 3.4% + $0.30 per transaction
- Amex fees go down to 2.4% + $0.30 per transaction
- In-person credit card rates drop to 2.4% + $0.00 per transaction
Again, these are just about the best credit card rates you can find across the entire industry, and when compared to all other ecommerce platforms. That's why it's so important to upgrade to the Advanced Shopify plan as your business grows. Otherwise, you're leaving money on the table in the long run.
Furthermore, shipping discounts improve from the previous 77% Shopify discount to an enticing 88% discount for all major carriers like USPS, DHL Express, and UPS.
And of course, they wouldn't call it the Advanced Shopify plan if it didn't include a bevy of more powerful features, the likes of which boost your efficiency and improve your return on investment as your business scales. Enjoy up to 15 staff members, 8 locations, an advanced report builder, and third-party calculated shipping rates, just to name a few of the extra features.
Discounts and Savings That Come with Every Shopify Pricing Plan
Generating the most bang for your buck with long-term Shopify billing definitely works to your advantage, but what about Shopify in general, especially when compared to other ecommerce platforms like BigCommerce or Squarespace?
Are you receiving savings just by signing up for Shopify?
There's no question about it.
Every Shopify plan, from Basic Shopify to Advanced Shopify, offers these direct and indirect savings opportunities:
- You can sell on dozens of other marketplaces (think Etsy and eBay) without having to pay for an extra plugin—like you would have to with WooCommerce.
- Shopify supports unlimited products, whereas many other ecommerce platforms increase pricing based on the number of items in your store. This allows you to have as many products as you want and only upgrade your plan when you actually need the features.
- Abandoned cart recovery is free with all plans, which isn't the case with much of the competition.
- You get a free SSL certificate. Sometimes, with other platforms, you have to pay for a premium SSL, or there's some convoluted process for adding something like a free SSL, like Let's Encrypt.
- There's no fee to use Shopify POS Lite, a simple, portable POS system for accepting in-person payments at places like fairs and markets.
- All Shopify plans can add Shopify POS Pro for only $89 per month, which is quite the steal if you also operate a physical location.
- Print shipping labels, create gift cards, and generate your own percentage discount codes with no extra fees. Not too many other ecommerce platforms provide all these features with no extra charges or plugins.
- As long as you opt for Shopify Payments as your payment gateway, you incur zero transaction fees. This is an exclusive savings from Shopify, whereas other payment gateways sometimes charge anywhere from 1 to 5% per transaction.
Are There Shopify Coupon Codes or Long-term Discounts for Shopify Lite?
Shopify Lite provides one of the cheapest ways to add ecommerce functionality to an existing website, but it's important to remember that Shopify Lite isn't a complete online store. It doesn't give you a shopping cart and checkout module integrated into a complete website. Instead, you add Buy buttons to an existing site, like on WordPress; then, it sends shoppers to a third-party Shopify checkout module, not on your domain.
Shopify Lite sells for $9 per month, and there are no discounts available beyond that.
You're welcome to sign up for a 14-day free trial to try out Shopify Lite features, but Shopify sticks to its $9 pricing (which is already pretty darn low) instead of offering long-term billing discounts like it does with other plans.
Therefore, we only recommend going with Shopify Lite if you're okay with not having a complete online store, and if the only option is to keep a site you have elsewhere (like maybe a blog) and put Buy buttons on the website.
This sort of makes it into a Shopify store, but not really. So, it makes the most sense to build an actual ecommerce site while also gaining access to long-term discounts, and those are only available when you opt for the Basic Shopify, Shopify, and Advanced Shopify plans.
Is there a Shopify Discount Code or Long-term Discount for Shopify Plus?
Shopify Plus serves as the enterprise plan from the Shopify ecommerce platform. This means it's made for large or growing businesses that need the most robust features possible, unrestricted customization, and premium customer support.
It's unclear whether you can get a discount with the Shopify Plus plan. What we do know is that Shopify very much so caters to its Shopify Plus customers, since they are high paying clients with the most potential for growth.
Therefore, the whole point of Shopify Plus is to decrease costs for merchants.
Shopify Plus starts at $2,000 per month. And you're paired with a customer representative to figure out the most cost-effective way to configure your Shopify.com store. We're talking automatic discounts, specific product features, and the best discounts for everything from POS hardware to free shipping discounts.
Shopify also states that ecommerce businesses on the Shopify Plus plan eliminate:
- Ongoing hosting and infrastructure costs
- Ongoing outsourcing costs
- The need for upgrades and security patches
- Load testing and performance requirements
So, there's no way to tell how much you can save by going with Shopify Plus, but we know that merchants often receive long-term discounts with Shopify Plus, or they can work out a deal with their Shopify representative.
How to Save Money on Shopify Themes
Do you need Shopify discount codes to save on themes? You rarely need a discount code, but that's because we seldom see discounts for Shopify themes, at least the ones for sale in the Shopify Themes store. It's worth keeping an eye out for price cuts, but we've found your best bet for a deduction in theme pricing is by choosing a free theme or looking elsewhere, like a 3rd-party theme marketplace.
One way to save on Shopify themes is to sign up for a graphic design subscription; one like Envato Elements. Envato Elements helps web designers save money since you pay around $16.50 per month for access to hundreds of design elements like Shopify themes, stock photos, graphic templates, and video templates—instead of just paying one price for one theme.
We also like the following marketplaces for cheaper Shopify themes and regular discounts:
- ThemeForest: With occasional promotions and already reasonable prices on its marketplace themes, ThemeForest serves as one of the go-to places to locate discounts on Shopify themes. A brief search shows over 1,000 themes, ranging in price from $30 to $100. And sellers have the option to discount their own products, so it's very well possible to see steep discounts on a regular basis. As a bonus, you gain access to 6 months of customer support with standard licences through ThemeForest. Extended support often costs less than $10, so there's plenty of reason to consider the ThemeForest marketplace.
- TemplateMonster: Here's a marketplace with hundreds of Shopify themes and an “All-in-one” package where you gain access to every single one of the premium themes for a monthly or yearly price. The lowest we've seen is $13 per month for the package, but the standard price runs at around $20 per month, or $159 per year. We also like that one-off Shopify theme purchases usually start at around $20 to $50, making it much easier to swallow a purchase like that as opposed to some of the $400 themes you may find elsewhere online.
- Etsy: Surprisingly, Etsy sellers have begun listing Shopify themes with affordable prices. The reason we like Etsy as an option here is because many of the merchants package dozens, even hundreds, of Shopify themes into one sale, so you only end up spending anywhere from $15 to $100 for a collection of themes to use on multiple Shopify websites, or across one website (like for different landing pages on the same company site).
- Creative Market: There are several ways to save money on Shopify themes when you purchase through Creative Market. First of all, Creative Market offers credit packages, where you spend anywhere from $20 to $50 for hundreds of credits. This lets you purchase several themes instead of just one. Creative Market also runs promotions on occasion, or it's possible to simply browse through the selection to find reasonably priced themes.
How to Get Shopify App Discounts
Shopify moderates its App Store, but it doesn't control the pricing. Instead, app developers get to set whatever pricing they want, or list the app for free.
Shopify Apps often ambush your budget, since it feels like they're usually pretty cheap, but once you get five or ten, you're suddenly spending more on apps than you are for the entire Shopify platform.
Since app prices add up so quickly, we have some tips for when seeking out Shopify apps:
- Always ask, “Is there a free alternative?” Chances are you can find another app that's just as good for free. That's not always the case, but we highly recommend using the search function and testing out alternatives before committing to an app that charges a monthly fee. Most apps made by Shopify are free, and there are plenty of free third-party apps.
- If can't locate a free app, bookmark the top 5 premium apps in the category you're interested in.
- Test each of the premium apps to understand which works best for you.
- Compare pricing and go to the app developers' websites to see if they offer coupons or discounts for long-term sign-ups.
- Ask “Can I find one premium app to replace multiple apps?” You'll notice that some apps have more features than others, and it's rather common that page builder apps provide tools that cover what's available from a dozen other apps.
Apps that say “Free” have no upsells; it's completely free without any surprises. Apps with the “Free To Install” tag fall under the “freemium” model, where you probably have to pay for some feature at some point. The apps that say “Free Plan Available,” offer multiple payments plans, one of which is free forever; some of those free plans are all you need, but you may discover that others have limited features.
While viewing pricing in the Shopify App Store, be sure to click the See All Pricing Options link. This sends you to the developer's website with often more accurate pricing plans, or the occasional promotion.
As we've mentioned a few times already, new discount codes for Shopify don't come around that often. We're able to offer discounts to our readers as an exclusive Shopify partner, so we recommend taking advantage of the codes we're able to show. Otherwise, go to the Shopify Admin area, try Shopify free, then upgrade to one of the three primary plans on the Shopify website. There are plenty of long-term billing options to decrease the overall price of Shopify as you build and grow your business.
Let us know if you have questions about how to get a Shopify discount code, long-term offer, or coupons in general!